1981 Extended cab SD22 and 5 speed 4 sale in Vancouver BC

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

BobJ

1981 Extended cab SD22 and 5 speed 4 sale in Vancouver BC

Post by BobJ »

This truck has 136,000 km. Runs very well. Body is very rusty. Master or slave gone on clutch. Brake pedal frozen=truck moves around but no brakes. Would consider parting out as my 87 could use the transmission. Let me know if you would like more info. Was thinking $800 cdn whole.

Thanks, Bob.
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Bob, do you also have an 87 Nissan diesel pickup? If you do, do you happen to know if the engine/motor mounts on the frame are the same for the comparable gas model truck of that year? Have any pictures of your 87 and it should be the D21/hardbody style truck that replaced the 720 in 86.5. Thanks for your reply.

Salvy
BobJ

Post by BobJ »

My 87 is a Z24 motor. I will look and see if motor mounts are similar. If they are would you like a pic or two of diesel mounts? Sometimes hard to tell from pic I guess.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Bob, be aware that the SD's transmission will not "bolt up" to the Z24. The guts are similar (ratios are different though only slightly) but the front half of the case has to be swapped, and it is a bit of work. See my FS5W71 post for details.

For reference, here in NW Washington (ie not too far from you), within the last two years I bought

* An '82 720 KC with no rust, 86k miles (about the same as yours), bad trans for $400 on Mercer Island;

* An '82 720 KC with lots of rust, mismatched bed, for $160 in Bellingham (non-running, but an easy fix);

* And an '82 720 KC with factory sunroof, blown engine and very rusty, for free on Vashon Island.

What I'm getting at is that you might have your price point a bit high, for a rusty and non-driveable, non-KC 720 diesel PU.

I wouldn't mind buying a spare SD22 engine and ancilliaries, and even hauling it back across the border isn't that daunting (though it runs well over $100 to get a passport, and they want a passport for crossing the Canadian border now, they hassled me last time I went up to Surrey), but my price point for a good running SD22 is about 1/4 of your starting price of US$733, and I don't want to insult you by making an offer -- though I guess I just did. I'd go an extra US$50 for a quiet diesel SD transmission, which is what they go for in the JYs here -- w/o a warranty.

Can you answer this Q from Salvy: is your '87 a D21 ("Hardbody") or the last year of the 720? Canada got the 720 into '87 I think, where in the US the 720 was dropped at 86.5 .
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
BobJ

Post by BobJ »

I did read your atrticle. Thought it was excellent reference so saved it. I would like to use the trans as even having mine re bearing'ed is around $600. Could also use some synchro's and who knows what else when they tear into it???$$$$

My 87 is a D21 4X4. Date of manufacture is 6 86. Must be one of the first. Lots of running changes to D21 in first two months so it's a bit of an oddball.

I'm sure you know your prices better than i do, and it might be a little high. The truck is pretty low mileage at around 85,000 miles. It was serviced properly by original owner. A lot of people interested in trans Myself included. lol. Maybe they are harder to come by here?

Don't think I would sell for quite that low. but can notify you if it does get in that range? It will be in local buy and sell in next week or so.

I guess the passport thing is a sign of the times. Canada doesn't care if you have passport. It's your motherland. Scares me crossing border and I have my passport. A bad guy has same name and birthday so I always get to go inside for a nice visit. lol. I am a few miles N.W. of Lynden crossing. If you would like any other info/pics etc. let me know.

Thanks, Bob.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

BobJ wrote:I'm sure you know your prices better than i do
I was merely supplying some data points. If someone is willing to pay -- and, judging from the bidding on an SD22 in NC that got up to well over $300 (Reserve not met) and another for $450 that got no bids -- then that's "what it's worth". I may have been exceptionally lucky, or whatever.
A lot of people interested in trans Myself included. lol. Maybe they are harder to come by here?
The front bearings don't hold up well on the pre-85 transmission when in diesel service, so when they get run beyond merely noisy -- the point at which you can still get away with only new bearings -- then all new gears are needed. And the reverse gear is also a weak point, if abused.

That combination means that the diesel trans is more valuable than the rest of the truck, when parting them out. However, as I've proved (building upon others' work), the less-expensive solution for a bad diesel trans is to use a gasser's trans for the guts, replace only bearings, and re-use the front half of the diesel trans' case. Much, much cheaper than trying to buy a used diesel trans, depending upon local supply.

If you try to use the diesel's guts for your 4x4, you will have to re-use the front case and the rear mainshaft and extension housing, at the least. The 4x4 version is shorter back there than the 2WD version. The gears, intermediate brg support, and all the forward shafts should interchange, though again the ratios are slightly different between the diesel and gasser versions, with only 4th (direct) gear being exactly the same.
Don't think I would sell for quite that low. but can notify you if it does get in that range?
Of course. It would not surprise me to hear that someone may find your truck exactly what they want, and at your price. But if response is low, I may have put my finger on the reason.
I guess the passport thing is a sign of the times. Scares me crossing border and I have my passport. A bad guy has same name and birthday so I always get to go inside for a nice visit. lol. I am a few miles N.W. of Lynden crossing.
I've only used the Peace Arch crossing, though I know about the Sumas (truck?) crossing. I used to live in Bellingham, and have friends in Blaine, so shopping in Surrey etc. was common. Until the last couple of years, that is. You wouldn't believe the hoops I have to go through to obtain a passport now. I started in on it last year . . . three ping-pongs to the agency involved, and I gave up -- for now. I'll get up some enthusiasm again someday and start over.

If you would like any other info/pics etc. let me know.

Thanks, Bob.[/quote]
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

The customs officer was grilling me when I drove in to the us at the rainbow bridge in niagara falls :( Crossing the border used to be so easy, and as of dec 31 2007 ull need your passport to go across too.

My passport still hasnt come and i mailed out my picture around april
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
BobJ

Post by BobJ »

Thanks for tech info. I wondered about mainshaft length. I like the idea of lower ratio first gear for 4x4. My 87 started to make a noise like throwout bearing, except when clutch was let out, and only after warming up. A guy on local 4x4 board said park it till fixed, so I did. Was starting to "snick" going into second and third gears, so will need at least synchro's hopefully not more... Same person said he bought bearing/seal/synchro/gasket kit for his truck for around U.S.$249? Rebuilt it himself. If I find shop manual will check it out and see if over my head or not?

I guess I paid to much for truck to begin with. Was going to use as power unit for portable welder. Still might, but last thing i need is another project. lol. Neat little motor though.

I go across border only if necessity now. Everything is cheaper down there, so extremely long crossing waits times unless very lucky. The Sumas crossing goes to abbotsford. Probably least wait time of all 4 local crossings? Things have sure changed alright. Imagine it will only get worse.
Then someone steals your identity and really screws it all up.

Appreciate all the info.

Thanks again, Bob.