Is this a prechamber or swhirlchamber engine? What pump?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

karotto

Is this a prechamber or swhirlchamber engine? What pump?

Post by karotto »

Hi there,
Am I correct in the assumption that my 1980 SD22 has indirect injection? If yes, is it a prechamber or a swirlchamber engine? This is important for me to know since I am planning to run it of vegetable oil. Also, what type of pump does this engine use? The label says Diesel-Kiki, licence Bosch. Is this an in-line pump or a distribution pump? One more question: Where is the fuel pump? Is it in the tank or in the engine compartment? Is it mechanical or electrical?
Thanks for your help.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Is this a prechamber or whirlchamber engine? What pump?

Post by asavage »

karotto wrote:Am I correct in the assumption that my 1980 SD22 has indirect injection? If yes, is it a prechamber or a swirlchamber engine?
See post 2500.

1980? Is this a 720? Or is the SD22 installed into some other rig? Where are you located? Would you mind selecting the "Profile" button on the top of any page here, and filling at least the portion of your profile that specifies your geographic locale? It can be really helpful.
This is important for me to know since I am planning to run it of vegetable oil.
See post 2676.
what type of pump does this engine use? The label says Diesel-Kiki, licence Bosch. Is this an in-line pump or a distribution pump?
See post 2523, and the thread above it.
Where is the fuel pump? Is it in the tank or in the engine compartment? Is it mechanical or electrical?
I think you mean the lift pump. It's built onto the side of the main IP housing. See post 1895 for details and pictures. You might find my experience in post 36 informative too.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Re: Is this a prechamber or whirlchamber engine? What pump?

Post by philip »

karotto wrote:Hi there,
Am I correct in the assumption that my 1980 SD22 has indirect injection? If yes, is it a prechamber or a swirlchamber engine? This is important for me to know since I am planning to run it of vegetable oil. SNIP

Thanks for your help.
The SD engines use a pre-combustion swirl chamber. Note the angle fuel enters the chamber relative to the chamber exit path.

Image Image
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
philip
Deceased

Re: Is this a prechamber or swhirlchamber engine? What pump?

Post by philip »

karotto wrote:Hi there,
Am I correct in the assumption that my 1980 SD22 has indirect injection? (SNIP) This is important for me to know since I am planning to run it of vegetable oil. (SNIP).
"In conclusion, there IS an "issue" with using two-tank SVO systems with Direct Injection diesels, and especially with WVO. We do NOT recommend it. Currently the German professional single-tank SVO systems are the only SVO systems suitable for "any diesel"."

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_m ... l#3choices

Each veggie fuel defined
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"