Future Diesel 280z project

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

KevZed

Future Diesel 280z project

Post by KevZed »

I'm pretty stoked that I found this forum. I've had a hard time finding info about the LD28

I have a 76 280z that I'd like to guarantee it's future with alternative fuels and that pretty much means a diesel engine. I've heard that the LD is as solid as the gas model and that's certainly comforting. I'd like to collect the engine and related parts from otherwise undriveable 810/maxima and the turbo and exhaust manifold from an equally unuseable 280zx.

I'd love to hear any feedback , tips or (constructive) critcism about this conversion.

Thanks
Kev
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Future Diesel 280z project

Post by asavage »

Hello, Kev, and Welcome to our Sandbox!
KevZed wrote:I'm pretty stoked that I found this forum. I've had a hard time finding info about the LD28
This is the place. At least, I'm not aware of any other good place for LD28 info on the web, which is why, when I had six or eight people emailing me with Qs, I started this site.
I have a 76 280z that I'd like to guarantee it's future with alternative fuels and that pretty much means a diesel engine.
I'm sure you know, but for those reading this fresh, it was first done (AFAIK) by Joshua Tickell -- see this thread for more info. He had an LD28 put into his 280Z, then had a turbo added.
I've heard that the LD is as solid as the gas model and that's certainly comforting.
The LD28 is at least as durable as the L2x engines.
I'd like to collect the engine and related parts from otherwise undriveable 810/maxima and the turbo and exhaust manifold from an equally unuseable 280zx.
For turbo info, see this thread, beginning with this post.

As far as an otherwise-undriveable diesel Maxima, I sure wish I could find a smashed or rusted 1983 with AT! I've got an '83 but it's too close to being a driver to trash just for the OD transmission :(
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

If you are replacing the maxima L4n71b, it would be better to go with one originally from a Z31 turbo since they can handle more than 200hp unlike the maxima L4n71b.