New Member JoaoCabrao's 83' Maxima Diesel

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

JoaoCabrao

New Member JoaoCabrao's 83' Maxima Diesel

Post by JoaoCabrao »

This is my rustbucket, about 119k on the odometer and runs like a champ. I have the original rims off of the car because a couple of the acorn lugnuts stripped and I ordered replacements. Nice to see a website dedicated to these diesels. Only problem I have with this car is alternator hum coming through the radio, does anyone know how to solve this? Thanks.
________
YAMAHA SR250
Last edited by JoaoCabrao 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
philip
Deceased

Re: New Member JoaoCabrao's 83' Maxima Diesel

Post by philip »

Sharp Maxima!!

Alternator whine is usually a symptom of a failed alternator diode. You simply replace the whole diode bridge assembly.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Re: New Member JoaoCabrao's 83' Maxima Diesel

Post by asavage »

JoaoCabrao wrote:This is my rustbucket, about 119k on the odometer . . .
[Jaw dropping]
That thing looks as if it's a 1982 sales brochure! I've never seen one so . . . shiny! Is it MT or AT?

119k is very low miles. I bought my '82 from the orig. owner in 1997 (it came from Penn.) and I paid premium price because it had 86k on the odo (has 155k now).
Only problem I have with this car is alternator hum coming through the radio, does anyone know how to solve this?
Could be the external noise suppression capacitor has died -- this was not on all alternators. However, I suspect that Philip's right. Put a DVM on the big lead on the back of the alternator and ground, set it for AC voltage, turn on the highbeams, see if you have more than 0.1v. If so, buy the $80 rebuild on eBay. Remember, this alternator is special, due to the extended rotor and special rear housing to drive the vacuum pump.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
JoaoCabrao

Post by JoaoCabrao »

It's an AT 3 speed OD, the previous owner had it resprayed at a macco I would guess. The car isn't terribly rusty but what rust there was they bondo'd over it and never properly repaird it, it's starting to rear it's ugly head again and I'll have to take care of it. Yes 119k is low, I have only put about 5k on it since I bought the car a year ago. It sat because the crank pulley, harmonic balancer deteriorated and no parts were available. I found a replacement in a salvage yard somewhere. Only problems I have are the alternator whine, I think I have the driver side door typical crack I read about on this board and now a rack and pinion leak but already have a rebuilt rack waiting for to be put in everything else works. Sunroof all four power windows, power mirrors, cruise control, power ant., radio, tape deck, power locks, etc. Oh and in the background you can see a little bit of my dad's 76' AMC Matador, 33k original miles and not even the smallest bit of rust. Thanks for the tips guys I'll fill you in on the outcome.
________
HONDA 1300 HISTORY