Power Window Switches - Anybody Conquer These?

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

83_maxima

Power Window Switches - Anybody Conquer These?

Post by 83_maxima »

On both of my cars, I have power window switches that are finicky to put it lightly. Half of the time, half the switches do not work, and the other half of the time, those that do work only work, well, half the time.

On both cars, I have pulled the switches out, cleaned the contacts, reassembled the switches, only to have the one non-functioning switch work ONCE, then never again, while all of the other switches seem to operate with no improvement.

Since we have a couple of electrical gurus out there, and after another 2 hour trip trying to screw around with the windows to get them to go up/down, I am soliciting advice on how to fix these switches to get some more life out of them - both on the console and at the windows.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I never had any problem with the switches, but my console is breaking down rather quickly :?
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

You're kidding me?!?!

I have always had problems, esp. with the pass side front window - on both cars. The contacts on the brass "tabs" and in the switch body develop burnt spots which prevent the window from working in either one or both directions.

Is there a METHOD for cleaning or prepping the brass before re-assembly that may prevent the burnt contacts?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Ben, I've got a spare console window switch assy. PM my your address again, and I'll send it to you.

The usual problem isn't the switches, but the plastic panel around it. The single mount breaks.

Image Image

So you'll want to be very careful with those three screws, when you take the switches out of the escutcheon.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Awesome! My only spare is the original off of my 83, which I replaced with a better one from the JY years ago. But alas, that one won't work on the 81.

Believe me, I know about the plastic. I'll take a pic of the spare 83 I fixed. Complete with small machine scew to hold the bottom and top together - and the top plate isn't even warped!

I still can't believe no one else has had any problems with these things. In the 20 years the 83 has been in my family, the PW switches have been the only real trouble spot with the electrical system.