Windmills for power generation

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

glenlloyd wrote:I've got my electric down to $36 a month.
I'm impressed. I don't do laundry at home, heat water with propane, and don't own a television; I run about $24/mo. (max = $35 in the coldest weather) and we have "cheap" hydro power here.

Three computers (1G, 1G, 5M), loaded to run at 100% at all times, run 24/7. They're also a major portion of my space heating, so turning them off does not mean I save power, I'd just have to increase my other electric heater duty cycle to compensate, at least in winter.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

my power bill is aprox $75 month average..
water heating is off peak.

we have TV computor etc etc,ceiling fans.water pump 2 freezers and electric stove.my mother house has gas heating and cooking this drops the power bill.

i have a wood heater that heats half house.electric oil radiator used in winter in childrens room..but it not that cold here.wood is free i have to collect it of the farm from dead trees..
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

I don't leave lights on unnecessarily except for two outside lights, one std. low energy use bulb at the back door that's on all night, and the big dusk-to-dawn yard light which has a sodium bulb. My cloths dryer is electric, and it's old, but it works and it's very simple so I don't replace it since I can service it myself.

Furnace is old (1980?) but I don't ask it for much, I keep the temp low in the winter. This past winter I shut off one of its four burners just as a test and it still performed fine...reduced my natural gas consumption by a chunk. Still needs to be replaced though, maybe this year but again I hate to because I can fix it myself.

Problem is that the house is all masonry so it's an oven in the summer and difficult to heat in the winter. It was 10 years ago this coming summer that I first got central air.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!