My Turbo 4x4 build

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

bacho

My Turbo 4x4 build

Post by bacho »

Figured I would go ahead and start my own post after posting around a bit.

First I bought an old datsun.

It was too ugly for me to drive so I bought a 4x4 720 with no motor.

Then I swapped the motors. It was a little harder than I guessed, I didnt know I was gonna have to mess with the tranny. Anyways got the tranny rebuilt and then I started on the oil pan. I spent alot of time building a pan off the diesel one that didnt fit because the information I had on the motor mounts was off. So then I mixed the diesel pan with the gas one.

Then I got the mounts situated about 2" forward of the stock one, no pics of that. The motor bolted up then and I got it fired up and took it for a drive for 2 days. Then I found a turbo in the shop and decided to use it after the numbers showed it would be ideal for a 2.2 diesel.

So I got some stainless and made a down pipe, I didnt like the ones that were welded to the manifold.

Got the turbo mounted and running again, goes good but I need to finish that. At this time I decided that the 720 would be going faster so I had better get it some better brakes. Swapped in some bigger brakes from my pathfinder.

And this is where I am at now, I will get some better pics of the turbo set-up soon.
1992 nissan pathfinder 4x4
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
oak4000

Post by oak4000 »

So what turbo & size wise did you end up with? I have a turbo laying around and was sizing it up but have been too busy with the new baby and all.
82 sd22, n/a for the time, 5 speed, 250k, standard cab, 2wd
bacho

Post by bacho »

I got lucky, Back in the day (25 years ago) my dad decided to turbo a Fiat and run it off propane. In the end he took off all those parts and put them in a box and now I have them. I went to the manufacture website and looked up the specs of the turbo and the company recommended it for a 2.0-2.5 diesel so I was in luck. My dad bought it from a turbo company and I dont believe it ever came on a production car.
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
abumariah

thanks

Post by abumariah »

i appreciate the posts so far on your swap. planning the same thing and i haven't been brave enough to start on my oil pan yet.

are your tires not rubbing in front?
1985 720 kc 4x4 z24
1981 720 kc 2wd sd22
bacho

Post by bacho »

I hated the tires that were on it and they rubbed a little. I ended up getting some "lego" rims leftover from the pathfinder and some 31x10.5 tires and it made a nice difference. I will sell the old tires soon.
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
bacho

Post by bacho »

started having some problems. I noticed that it would sorta miss a beat every so often on the freeway but I thought it was just extra drag from no having the doors on it. Now the doors are on it and I found very quickly that at sustained higher speeds it starts stuttering. It will only stop after I back off the throttle for a little while, or pull over. A quick check of the small fuel filter in the engine bay showed nothing. I am running the stock gas tank and fuel pump, do you think these cannot use diesel? Switching to the diesel tank is not really an option as the donor truck went to the scrap yard last week.
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

bacho wrote:I am running the stock gas tank and fuel pump, do you think these cannot use diesel?
Gasoline fuel tanks are often galvanized. You can't run diesel in galvanized tanks: the zinc will plug filters or worse.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:Gasoline fuel tanks are often galvanized. You can't run diesel in galvanized tanks: the zinc will plug filters or worse.
Do you mean that one "cannot run diesel in a galvanized tank" ... without ... a filter inline? Are there galvanize chips headed for the pre-Lift Pump or somethings acidic?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
crzhors

Diesel/Gas tank zinc conflict

Post by crzhors »

Gee, now another good question, Why not Diesel in a Galvanized tank?
Lookin forward to this answer, not being a chemist...
"Enquiring minds want to know" :?
SD22 Marine=M4-33 1974Challenger 40
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Diesel fuel will corrode the zinc (galvanizing) off the tank and into your filters -- if you're lucky. If the zinc makes it by the filters, I would imagine Bad Things happen to the injection system.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm? ... 948&page=8

From the Federal Regulations for Coast Guard fuel tanks (2005?):
46 CFR § 182.440 Independent fuel tanks.
(a) Materials and construction.
TABLE 182.440(a)(1) footnotes
5 Gasoline fuel tanks constructed of iron or steel, which are less than 5 millimeter (0.1875) inch) thick, shall be galvanized inside and outside by the hot dip process. Tanks intended for use with diesel oil shall not be internally galvanized.
http://www.licroc.org/Tech%20Articles/c ... ations.pdf (Cummins Fuel Recommendations, 2002) (page 6):
Zinc
--- Fuels with high levels of zinc can cause injector spray hole carboning. Do not use galvanized pipe or fittings in the fuel system plumbing. Diesel fuel will leach zinc galvanized material.
(this publication also contains other useful and interesting information, particularly about biocides and bacteria formation, pg. 16-ish. The biodiesel info is out-of-date though.)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:
Zinc
--- Fuels with high levels of zinc can cause injector spray hole carboning. Do not use galvanized pipe or fittings in the fuel system plumbing. Diesel fuel will leach zinc galvanized material.
Zinc is found in engine oil. Something about 1400 ppm when new. So, does old diesel engine oil that is tossed into the diesel fuel dangerous to fuel injection systems?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

philip wrote:Zinc is found in engine oil. Something about 1400 ppm when new. So, does old diesel engine oil that is tossed into the diesel fuel dangerous to fuel injection systems?
Cummins says it's OK to blend in 5% used engine oil with fuel in their engines that do not have an oxidation catalyst (catalytic converter).

I am guessing that the level of zinc found in used motor oil, blended in that concentration, is insufficient to cause short-term damage. Maybe the leaching of zinc from incorrect fuel system components is higher than that? Who can say?

Cummins Fuel Recommendations (2002, page 7)
Cummins Fuel Recommendations wrote:CAUTION
Engines equipped with an oxidation catalyst must not use fuel blended with lubricating oil. The lubricating oil causes deposits in the catalyst which will plug the catalyst and possibly cause higher emission levels and reduced engine performance.

CAUTION
Do not blend more than 5 percent used lubricating oil with the fuel. Do not blend other used oils with fuel, such as transmission fluid, gear case oil, and so forth.
bacho

Post by bacho »

I havent got a chance to mess with it again, there is more than 3 filters between the gas tank and injectors. I will inspect them and may possibly run a fuel cell.
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
bacho

Post by bacho »

Update, All filters replaced and I am running good again. I installed a clean filter so I will keep an eye on it for contaminations coming from the tank.
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
harrisonm3

What exactly did you do to the tranny?

Post by harrisonm3 »

I'm thinking of doing a similar swap.

I'm hoping that I can swap the bellhousings

was also hoping to keep the same motor mounts.

Did you have to get new drive line?
Matt Harrison
86 KC 4x4 Looking for a Diesel power plant