Steve Addy's 82 Maxima Wagon

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

glenlloyd

Steve Addy's 82 Maxima Wagon

Post by glenlloyd »

Hey everyone

I purchased this car in September of 2005 from one of those questionable used car lots around my area (Des Moines, IA). I've always been a fan of diesels and this wagon was in really good condition. It presently has 154k on the odometer and just this past weekend I took it on what was essentially it's maiden voyage.

It has been sitting since I bought it due to a collapsed strut spring seat on the front, but over thanksgiving I managed to rebuild the struts and install them, with a host of other maintenance items including a new injection pump timing belt, rear diff. fluid, thermostat, etc.

The original owner purchased the car in Florida and kept it for 20 years. When he parted with it in 2002 it had about 141k miles on it. It had one other owner in 2003, for what I take to be a very short time, and by 2004 it was obtained by the car lot that I aquired it from, supposedly non-running. They replaced the glow plugs, although I don't know if they knew anything about what they were doing. They certainly didn't replace the crispy power steering belt. Anyway, I saw it on a trip past their lot and pulled in to look wondering if it might be a diesel, and it was.

According to the original owner, who didn't mind talking with me about the car, the timing belt had never been replaced. He didn't believe that it had one. Certainly this became a top priority maintenance issue! What I found when I went in to change it was not nearly as bad as I thought, but it certainly wasn't new, and as such I can say with certainty that it was not replaced by owner #2.

Anyway, here's a recent picture of the car, taken at my parents house this past weekend. The alloy wheels were not, as Al already mentioned, available on the wagon, but here they are, and they make the car significantly better. Thanks Al for helping out on that one!

Steve A[/img]
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Whoa, another Brownie ;) Terry's is brown, too. Mine is burgundy but my paint is so bad -- it was bad when I bought it in '96, and it's certainly no better now.

Don't the wheels look sharp? Glad they worked out.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

The paint is actually quite nice on this car. The original owner said it was garaged while he owned it. It's taken a few nicks and bumps after him but they're not bad and overall it's solid. Oh, there is that nasty burn through on the rear door...see it?

sa

zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

glenlloyd wrote:Oh, there is that nasty burn through on the rear door...see it?
Er, no, not really. Where, again?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

It's not readily visible in the photo, but you can make it out on the upper shoulder of the rear door, a light spot, circled in red on this photo.

It's only a burn through the clear coat and not the color, but it is unfortunate since the rest of the paint is pretty consistent.

SA

zim - silence!
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

Thats one mean machine. I know you wagon people don't have four wheel disc brakes but do you still have independent rear suspensions?
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

No. The wagons have the H190 rear end, solid axle. 1981-82 have rear leaf springs, '83-84 have coils in back. Drum rears.

Which reminds me: I need to add a brake tidbit to the FAQ: the drum rears do NOT self adjust via backing up and stepping on the pedal as is usual for the rest of the world. No, the self-adjuster only works when you use the parking brake!

I'll try to remember to post that the the FAQ soon.

So, Joe, both yours are sedans? One AT, one MT?

[edit]D'oh, it's in your sig!
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Dr. Jones wrote:Thats one mean machine. I know you wagon people don't have four wheel disc brakes but do you still have independent rear suspensions?
Thanks for the compliment on the wagon, didn't catch your response before.

Actually I'm a little envious of the sedans, since they got the IRS. Also because they have a cleaner look. But I will admit it's nice to have the space to haul things. I'm venturing off to pickup some parts for the Peugeot 504 diesel project you see in my avatar, and the space comes in handy. Especially when the parts consist of four wheels / tires, interior, and a few other misc items!

steve a

zim - silence!
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Here's another pic from that same day.

SA

zim - silence!
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

here's another pic, at Christmas, just after I waxed it.

sa

zim - silence!