More torque in LD28

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Kolatogari

More torque in LD28

Post by Kolatogari »

Hi there, I from Iceland and I'm new on the board.

I got a LD28 in my '85 Range Rover. the engine came out of '83 Laurel.
She's working fine but, lacks a little bot of torque on hi speed. She having a hard time to push the car on 38" tires.

my question is, how can I tune op the engine without damage her lifetime?
I rather not go with turbo mod.

BTW the engine only got 150.000 KM on it. so almost brand new.
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

Welcome to the Nissan Diesel board!

38" tires are a lot to push and the engine you/we have is 80HP. To my knowledge there are no performance parts for a LD28, and if there were, none would do any good without a turbo. In the USA none were imported with a turbo, so none of us here have any tricks up our sleeve.

The only thing you can do without a turbo is carry enough air in the tires to reduce rolling resistance, a clean air filter and choose a reasonable gear for the amount of RPM.

LD28 engines have a short stroke which gives a little more RPM, but is weak on torque. It is just the nature of the beast.
Kolatogari

Post by Kolatogari »

well, he's good good for highway use, but when driving in mud or up to clacier, it lacks a bit torque. Friend of mine has old 2,8 patrol engine in his range rover. But thats turbo engine. I allredy got a open 3" exhaust and a K&N filter. I also chanced the Diff ratio to match with the 38" tiers. Is it possable to chance the camshaft or anything like that? couse we usualy custom made things like that here in Iceland, also headers.

BTW, theese 80hp can push this truck up to 140kmh on hiway :D
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

That Patrol engine had at least 20 HP more than the LD28, right from the factory.

You'll have to add a turbo.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Kolatogari

Post by Kolatogari »

Ok, found a turbo that can easy be mixed with the engine. It's from a old 12ton Scania truck. then I found a intercooler from 5,9 cummins. thats should do the job :D
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

That Scania turbo is gonna crank boost like none other
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
moose60

Post by moose60 »

Hell, it might not make much boost if it's sized for a big motor. It could be perfect, but the Scania motors I looked up are from 8 to 14 liters in displacement. I'm eager to see photos of the monster LD28.
:D
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
Kolatogari

Post by Kolatogari »

I think this one is 11L but not sure. I'll send some photos then it's done. :wink:
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

You might want to chat with someone at length that has scabbed an oversize turbo onto a little diesel already...you know... to save the engineering headaches.

I think a twin turbo setup would be really awesome! Can you imagine the boost two (11 Liter) turbos could make? Four maybe? Possibly some oversize headbolts? Propane injection? You may need bigger tires after all that!

Well, good luck, your gonna need it :roll:
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Where the heck are you going to get enough exhaust to drive the turbine on that turbo that came off an engine almost four times the displacement of an LD28?

Have you considered the 280ZX Turbo retrofit?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Kolatogari

Post by Kolatogari »

well, most of turbos in old truck are wery small. this one has 3" intake on the exhaust. and the air intake is 2,5". this is from a '74 model or somthing like that.