Marine SD22 questions

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

biodatsun

Marine SD22 questions

Post by biodatsun »

Does anybody have pictures of the engine complete and any kind of close ups on the injection pump? Philip do you still have that marine engine that is posted in the water pump string or was that just a photo of someone elses? And any possible reliable sources for injection pump info, I tried all the diesel shops around here and nobody could give me any info.

Thanks
T McLeay

1-1982 Diesel 720
1- 1998 Subaru Forester
1- 2002 Dodge cummins 4x4
philip
Deceased

Re: marine sd22

Post by philip »

Both of these are eBay photos from a year or so ago.

Marines are known as "MN" or "M4-33" or "CN".

This version Bosch inline "RSV" pump uses a mechanical mechanism to move the rack fore and back. (The RBD-MZ we know on the 720s has a pneumatic diaphragm to move the rack fore and back.)

This ANCIENT injection pump known as "CAV-DPA". Fuel pump is divorced to the cam gear housing and uses a rubber diaphragm.

This is an SD23 from Australia. Note Bosch VE.

Bosch RBD-MZ inlineSD22 on trick 720

I have some more photos ... is this enough?
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
biodatsun

Post by biodatsun »

Thanks, Philip

Those pictures are great but, I'm looking mainly for close ups of the injection pump so I can get the numbers off of it in order to be able to pick brains of the rebuild guys here.
T McLeay

1-1982 Diesel 720
1- 1998 Subaru Forester
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

biodatsun wrote:Thanks, Philip. Those pictures are great
Of course.
biodatsun wrote:...but, I'm looking mainly for close ups of the injection pump so I can get the numbers off of it in order to be able to pick brains of the rebuild guys here.
Then you should ask specifically. This is a 1982 Datsun that was actually designed on 1981 for the California specs.

Now tell me what you're doin'. :)
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

philip wrote:This is a 1982 Datsun that was actually designed on 1981 for the California specs
That's a marine version?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:
philip wrote:This is a 1982 Datsun that was actually designed on 1981 for the California specs
That's a marine version?
Ask "biodatsun" which of two injection pump physically possible (... up to 4 possibly) on the "marine" his tech cannot find.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:Is this one a CAV?
Yes. The separate diaphragm fuel ahead of the cam gear house confirms.

Were a VE, then a "lift pump" would be internal.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

biodatsun

Post by biodatsun »

Thanks again for the picture Philip. I was asking general questions due to the fact that this is not a boat forum it seems to be mainly land based. You offered more pictures so I thought I would ask more specifics seeing as how between you and Al Savage it seems you guys are the best informed. I'm toying with a switch in order to tubro easier but, still trying to gather info. As far as my tech is concerned I do not have one. I do most everything myself and the shops here could not help me without a pump number. As you can see I'm in Alberta Canada which is land locked and not alot of boats here unlike California so there is a lak of familiarity with marine anything here.

Ask "biodatsun" which of two injection pump physically possible (... up to 4 possibly) on the "marine" his tech cannot find.

I understand that knowledge is power but, why not give the information easily rather than making a person sound like an idiot
T McLeay

1-1982 Diesel 720
1- 1998 Subaru Forester
biodatsun

Post by biodatsun »

Thanks again for the picture Philip. I was asking general questions due to the fact that this is not a boat forum it seems to be mainly land based. You offered more pictures so I thought I would ask more specifics seeing as how between you and Al Savage it seems you guys are the best informed. I'm toying with a switch in order to tubro easier but, still trying to gather info. As far as my tech is concerned I do not have one. I do most everything myself and the shops here could not help me without a pump number. As you can see I'm in Alberta Canada which is land locked and not alot of boats here unlike California so there is a lak of familiarity with marine anything here.
philip wrote:Ask "biodatsun" which of two injection pump physically possible (... up to 4 possibly) on the "marine" his tech cannot find.
I understand that knowledge is power but, why not give the information easily rather than making a person sound like an idiot and have to beg for it. I must stop now as I'm starting to vent about this post, so thank you for your assistance and I guess I will be hesitant to ask for any help or info in the future.
T McLeay

1-1982 Diesel 720
1- 1998 Subaru Forester
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

You might ask the fellow who is selling his marine SD22 on Seattle CL for a close-up photo of his IP. His ad has a non-close-up photo of a rebuilt (apparently) marine IP. Most folks try to be helpful if you ask nicely . . . there are exceptions :roll:
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:SNIP- His ad has a non-close-up photo of a rebuilt (apparently) marine IP.
This is the Bosch "inline" RSV version. All stamp #'s depend by country, year, hp speed, max speed, fuel curve.

The Bosch "inline" MZ(pneumatic) / RDB(governor) are our truck 720 (American).
biodatsun wrote:I tried all the diesel shops around here and nobody could give me any info.
Al has a natch for knowing who to find out. :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22