Given away now: Free (WA): 1983 Sedan RF fender & hood

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

asavage
Site Admin

Given away now: Free (WA): 1983 Sedan RF fender & hood

Post by asavage »

Free to anyone that needs them.

The Sedan RF fender is different from the Wagon. The Wagon has the radio's antenna on the RF fender -- this fender is from a Sedan and has no antenna hole (but I assume it could be added).

The hood is pretty much "perfect", with correct 1983 hood ornament. The fender has a very slight dimple in the wheel arch. The seats are a tad dusty/dirty but no rips or tears.
Last edited by asavage 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
retired

Post by retired »

I'd really love to have that hood ornament! ;-) Mine was stolen in Pittsburgh , PA one winter night a decade or so ago. Seats? Mine are well worn, but I fear shipping might be a bit high to get them to North Carolina! Then again, it may just be worth it since I'm not planning on giving up my Maxima in this lifetime.

I'd had to replace both front fenders on my beast with after-market parts about 15 years ago. Spares are nice [looks like even the right color], but space is limited these days. What I could _really_ use is a replacement trunk lid should you happen to see one. Mine fell prey to my failure to check my neighbors 'help' when hooking up my trailer. He forgot to close the hitch lock... I stepped on the back of the trailer with an armload, the trailer took exception and crunched the lid. I could only pop it out so far. :-(
1982 Datsun Maxima wagon LD28 [one owner; lost to rust in 2002]
1983 Datsun/Nissan Maxima sedan LD28 252139 miles in daily use again; one owner.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I don't think I have a spare '83 ornament, but I probably have a serviceable '82 spare.

retired

Ornament

Post by retired »

The top portions of the hood ornaments were very popular 'collector items among middle school age vandals.

I'd hoped I could get the one from your 'spare' 83 hood, but...

I'm torn between leaving the long empty empty ornament base and perhaps putting the 82 symbol on the car. All the other side and rear Nissan, Datsun [mine originally had both names on it] and Diesel labels are long gone. :-( It could save a lot of questions about what it is if it bore some ID tag again; even if I'd feel guilty knowing it was the wrong one. ;-) It won't do anything to stop the "Is that a diesel, I didn't know they made a diesel" remarks.

So after momentary agonizing, I believe I would like to mount an 82 ornament if you do have a spare. I can't remember, is it spring loaded also or just fixed? Too many years...
1983 Datsun/Nissan Maxima sedan LD28 252139 miles in daily use again; one owner.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

PM me your address, and I'll send it to you. Pay me the shipping someday.

I don't feel like I can pull the '83 ornament off the hood; I'm hoping someone can use the whole hood.

I bought a replacement '82 ornament for my Wagon, in about 1998, from the dealer. It was somewhere north of $50 at the time.

[later]
The 1983-style ornament is (apparently, maybe) still available.

65894-W3200, $66

(click on image for larger)

Want me to look up the fender or trunk "DIESEL" badges?
Last edited by asavage 15 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
retired

Post by retired »

PM on the way.

I understand about the hood.

It probably would be a waste to consider the emblems on my trunk in it's current condition. But I 'd appreciate knowing how dear the Diesel side
emblems are; I might put them back on to avoid some of the questions.

Thanks for your help. It's getting a bit hard to find parts any more!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The fender plastic "DIESEL" emblem is
84896-V1300, $8

The description seems to be "MARK -- REAR" in Nissan FAST, and "Emblem Trck Lid" in nismoparts.com, but as you can see from the parts pic (Nissan FAST), it's shown for both front fenders (ignore the highlighting):

(click on any image for larger)
Image Image
Regards,
Al S.

retired

Post by retired »

The "MARK -- REAR" and "Emblem Trck Lid" both sound like they should pertain to the trunk! I'm glad you have access to the parts list because I'd be lost trying to guess descriptions/nomenclature and numbers at this point. I'll have to order a couple of those though, and get the old gal looking prettier again. Thanks.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

retired wrote:I'm glad you have access to the parts list . . .
If you wish, you may be able to set up the old Nissan FAST parts lookup program on your own computer. I wrote the recipe in this post.

Nissan FAST is not intuitive to use (not at all), but the Help system that comes with it is pretty good, all things considered. I manage to stumble around through it.

I also own a paper 910 Parts Catalogue, when Nissan FAST gets to be too much for me. Unlike the FSMs, this Parts Catalogue is made of unobtanium.
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

A brown '84 Gen1 Maxima Sedan (gasser) showed up in my "local" (only 30 mi. away) JY. I pulled the PDL relays, will be sending them to you shortly.

It has a hood emblem. Unfortunately, I had only five minutes until closing to scout it out, and almost no tools with me. Mark will pull stuff from the car Tuesday or so.

While I was pulling the PDL relays, the former owner's father showed up! He said it was in his driveway until last week. Everything electrical on it worked when it was sold off. New timing chain set, never fired.

It has the 1984 "leather" interiour and sunroof. Electronic dash (fairly rare option on the Maxima), only 130k miles on the mechanical odometer.

The deck lid (trunk) has some shallow minor dings and scratches.

The factory original keys are in the ignition.

The headlight surrounds are very, very good, and it has an astonishingly good console.

I think the bumpers are good.

I'm having Mark pull the hood emblem, console, PW switch escutcheon, taillight assys., headlight surrounds. If anyone wants any of these, let me know, because I don't need them, I just can't see them scrapped.

The factory alloys are gone, this yard pulls them and sells them for scrap before the cars hit the yard.

The former owner said they had it listed in CL for weeks with no offers. It sure is sad to see these nicer Maximas in the JY. No body damage, little rust, nice interiour.

Yank-A-Part in Poulsbo, Wash.
Regards,
Al S.

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I know its probably a lost cause, but would you or Mark mind checking the undercarriage for good CV joints ( boots still attached)? I can western union cash, or rush a check, or figure out a payment via CC if they are good.

I need new cv's and the rear trailing arms, apparantly the cv's do bite the dust after extended operation with no boots :o

Oh, if anybodys interested in the z-cars 'round these parts, Garys- U- Pull it binghamton, ny has a fresh '83 280zx. 0 rust, no dents, 100k on the clock, mint everything, and the worst part is the price on the windshield said 1k negotiable. Now missing Motor, rear hatch, alloy and seats.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I can tell you that it was sitting in light mud, wheels gone, and the CV boots were un-cracked. With only 130k showing, they're good bets.

I asked Mark tonight if he'd consent to taking a jack, and removing them. He has had to re-boot one of his, so he knows how much work is involved. He said he'd try.

However, since I was there yesterday, it has started raining in earnest. That JY has no gravel, it's all mud. Mark may not be able to safely jack it and get under it. But for enough money, Mark will probably get them out for you.

[later]
I just phoned Mark, he can probably pull them for you, but you'll have to negotiate with him directly.
Regards,
Al S.

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Im unsure if Mark frequents this site anymore, but could you please tell him to fire me a PM, or give me a call at (631) 974-3935, or Email me at Kassim503@yahoo.com. Im usually around the internet here and there throughout the evening.

Mushy wet junkyard mud! Delicious! Nothing has quite the same dirtying qualities and odor as that slippery mushy mud. Good tip for those who have not done this already, use the floor mats from the vehicle as a clean floor surface if you have to get on the ground, works like a charm

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

There was a huge present on my doorstep earlier this week! Heavy too! I think Tuesday or something, FedEx is always quick with their stuff. Btw, the MO for 200 went out about tuesday the 7th, things have been hectic 'round here.

The packaging worked really really well, Click on photos to enlarge

[img=http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/8633/1004568.th.jpg]
box came in great shape, the caps really helped from the joints from puncturing through

[img=http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3900/1004571.th.jpg]
Boots appear to be good

[img=http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1074/1004580l.th.jpg]
after a light scrub down, boots are in great shape

[img=http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7922/1004578.th.jpg]
splines are rust free!

Writeup on the install & rear wheel bearing replacement coming up sometime next week.

Now I know these axles torque up in a certain direction, so it is preferred that the left stays on the left, right... etc. The one on the right on the bottom pic seems to have a little more scoring/polishing from the carrier, and im guessing that would be the right? Anybody think this reckoning is justified? Right tire spinning more on a open diff, More weight on the drivers side? Its a hunch, but what I do know is that its 3 am on this side, and I shouldnt be up at this hour

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

kassim503 wrote:Now I know these axles torque up in a certain direction, so it is preferred that the left stays on the left, right... etc. The one on the right on the bottom pic seems to have a little more scoring/polishing from the carrier, and im guessing that would be the right? Anybody think this reckoning is justified?...
I didn't know there was a preferred direction. When installing mine, I measured them and found them to be identical length (L & R) so installed them without worrying about preferred direction. Several thousand miles later they are apparently OK.