Retrieving 1980 Peugeot 505 TD in Akron

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

glenlloyd

Retrieving 1980 Peugeot 505 TD in Akron

Post by glenlloyd »

I expect everyone to put out good vibes this weekend. I'm taking my elderly Dodge B250 van on a voyage to retrieve a 1980 Peugeot 505 TD from Akron Ohio. It's 1400 miles round trip, and my van hasn't seen that much distance in some years, especially non-stop.

Thank goodness the price of fuel is escalating, it wouldn't be fair for me to drive this large box on wheels without having to pay through the nose for it!

Anyway, here's what I'm going to get! I'll try to take a few shots on the road just to mark the festive time. Unfortunately I'll be alone for this trip, my buddy who usually goes with on these sorts of things has his parents visiting this weekend and can't get away. I'll be resorting to lots of books on tape and a plethora of coffee.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Well ???
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:Well ???
Well, we made it back ok, the trip went fine. The Dodge pulled it along at a spirited 75mph clip without any hassle. It's been a long time since I made a drive of that length. That tow dolly I bought really pulled along nice, and wasn't noisy like some I've used before.

The car however is a pile of rust. Once I extract the drivetrain and brakes I'm cutting it into pieces, throwing it in my van and hauling it to the scrap yard. There just isn't much on this other than the engine / tranny / rear diff. that's any good. If the water from the broken windshield didn't ruin it then the rust did, and it is sooooooo rusty! Oh, there's some good electrics too and I'll probably take the wiring harness.

On a positive note it did run this past Saturday and the IP seems in good working order. It's unfortunate that the prior owner didn't bother to fix some things that should have been repaired rather than bypassed, like the oil cooler. Also, the fuel filter assembly is a mess and the fuel lines are rotted out. The interior is smelly and green from humidity.

I won't know much more until I get the engine pulled from the car, but that will be a little while before that happens.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!