Headgasket notch question

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

JasperG

Headgasket notch question

Post by JasperG »

Hello, I was reading somewhere on this board that you can tell how many notches your headgasket has without pulling the head. I thought it was in the engine manual but I cant find it. Can anyone clue me in on how this works. I do see a couple notches by the ID number of the engine (1 on each side) but Im not sure if that is the right place to look. THanks Gordon.
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

My '82 FSM has an illustration on p. EM-37 that shows the notches outward of the no. 1 cylinder. Hard to identify which side they show up when installed.
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Cool thanks. I was using the LD28 engine manual I found online and it doesnt have a EM37. Maybe that is why I couldnt find it! I will peak around and see if I can locate it this afternoon. Cheers.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

The Carqest parts display in the store shows the notches on the drivers side by #1. Their inventory program lists all four but claims to only have the thickest one available - they said it's a Victor.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Thanks, I think I can see one notch but I cant tell for sure. I got the thickest gasket from Carquest too, but it doesnt have any notches. They might be able to get the thinner one, but I only ordered one. I figured worst case scenario I could shave the head a bit. the one I got was indeed a victor. Gordo
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

JasperG wrote: I figured worst case scenario I could shave the head a bit.
I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll be shaving the head much. It's a diesel.

The varying gasket thicknesses accommodate the varying deck heights and piston protrusion. I don't think you can do a thing by shaving the head. But I've been wrong before, and I haven't looked at this in a long time.

You pretty much have to use the right gasket thickness. Too short, the interference factor (ouch!); too thick, large change in compression ratio & driveability.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Thanks for the heads up Al. I will have to pull that head off and find out exactly which gasket i have. I guess if I cant tell, I could measure deck height and figure it out from there. I saw somewhere where the deck height could be translated into which gasket I need, but I cant recall where. Hopefully in the manual I found online it has that info. Much appreciated.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

1982 Maxima FSM, page EM-36 & EM37, shows the procedure and charts the piston projection ranges for each of the three gasket thicknesses.

eBay has the FSMs fairly often and pretty cheap. Though none right now. There are a couple in eBay Stores right now, but they start at $40, which is a bit steep.

You'll want the Maxima FSM even though you're not dealing with a Maxima, because the engine, fuel, and electrical sections are so darned useful.

The Generic Nissan LD series Manual does not seem to have this chart.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

That will help. Thanks again. I ordered one for 25 bucks, albiet a bit worn. I was using the link to the generic manual you listed and I dont see it anywhere in there. Thanks again. Gordon,
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

I ordered what I thought was a diesel manual, but the guy sent a regular manual for the 81 Datsun B810. Its HUGE, but it doesnt cover the diesel engine at all. I emailed him back to get the correct one he listed. This is the link below. Is the 82 Maxima manual the one I need or will this diesel version for the 81 suffice. I appreciate the help in advance. Gordon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

You might want to scan The FAQ. It would have informed you that the 1981 Maxima FSM contains no diesel info. The '82 & '83 FSMs do.

The link you posted does show the 1981 Diesel Supplement. However, there are several errors in that manual. I recommend obtaining the later FSM instead. List of known FSM errors are here.

Here's an '82 FSM for $16 shipped:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0084050451
Regards,
Al S.

JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Thanks again Al. The guy is going to refund my money since the photo didnt match the book. I will bid on that one instead. I really appreciate your help.Gordo