WTB. Harmonic ballancer

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

exmod110

WTB. Harmonic ballancer

Post by exmod110 »

Hi all, i am in need of an harmonic ballancer for my 82 ld28 that is fitted in my landrover defender 110, the outer most belt grove has come off and now have an engine vibe that will kill this great engine!!!
contact me @ wpgdoughboy@yahoo.com
I am located in canada and cant fint any of these maximas any more..
any help out there????
Don
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Carimbo, do you think that '82 Wagon @ Lynnwood JY might still be there? Another fellow emailed me that he pulled the crank, so the balancer might be just laying there.

Other than that . . . I don't have a spare.

Don, did you read this post? The fellow is probably just taking the cranks, so it's worth a phone call.

Beyond that . . . I think that somewhere (ie a different forum/site, perhaps) I left you a couple of leads for having your balancer rebuilt? I could find those links again . . . OK, my links are in this post, but I don't think it was to you.

If your need is immediate, I have a spare engine from which I could remove the balancer, but I'd want it -- or a similar replacement -- back. The engine is complete and is supposed to be a good runner, so I do not want to part it out, but it also does not need to be complete right now.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
exmod110

Post by exmod110 »

thanks for the link will call and find out if he has any thing lying around.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Now that I think about it, Carimbo asked me if we should pull off the HB on the JY '82 Wagon we were working on. I shrugged and answered, "they don't go bad," and said no.

[banging head on desk]

Don, Wayne (diesel-man) has several Maximas, some for parts. You might PM him and inquire. He doesn't seem to post anymore.

Also, ask Salvy (TheDieseliminator), he obtained a cylinder head a couple of weeks ago from someone named "Billy", who may have other parts.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:Now that I think about it, Carimbo asked me if we should pull off the HB on the JY '82 Wagon we were working on. I shrugged and answered, "they don't go bad," and said no.

[banging head on desk]
From what I have seen these apparently go bad, several of the engines listed on carparts.com seem to be without the HB. I should have said something back when you were making your trip, but it didn't come to mind at the time.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Al, to make a correction I actually bought my replacement cylinder head from Wayne instead of Billy. But I can tell you both Wayne and Billy will have a spare harmonic balancer for sure. Don, where are you located? If you contact Wayne or Billy they will be able to help you out I'm sure. I'll give you Billy's email address if you end up needing it. Just let me know if and when you want to contact him. I'm glad to help anyone I can so feel free to PM or email me for contact information.

Salvy
exmod110

Post by exmod110 »

Well I still havent found a ballancer, the nissanpart.cc was a dead end but thanks for the link! I can get one on a complete engine but not sure if I want to spend that much at the moment!!!
Thanks for the time and leads
will keep lookin!
Don
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

exmod110 wrote:the nissanpart.cc was a dead end but thanks for the link!
Hmmm?

http://www.nismoparts.com/cart/?pn=12304-V0710
US$188

DamperDoctor rebuilds balancers.

So does Dale Mfg. in Salem, Ore., and for about US$100 he's pretty cheap for this kind of work.

A rebuilt unit is probably a lot more robust than a 20+ yr old OEM one.

What is your price range?
Regards,
Al S.

exmod110

Post by exmod110 »

the 200.00 or less...dont have the outer ring to "rebuild" with, it came without the outer groove ring when I baught the car. the nismo link loos like the same outfit that you likned me to earlier. showed one in new jersy but they said that they didnt have... that was the only one on any ones invintory listings. the rep from the company was verry helpfull and wouldnt hesitate to go there for other parts!!!!!!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Contact member 83_Maxima (Ben); he was in correspondence with a crank-pirate in SoCal who sold the crank and was offering the rest of the engine up. That fellow had the IP, alt, GP stuff. He may also have the damper. Worth a try.

If that doesn't pan out . . . I really don't want to, but if you've got to have one right away, I guess I could pull the one off my spare complete engine in storage, in the hopes that I can lay my hands upon a replacement sometime in future. That engine is destined for a future project that is more than a year off.

I'm certain that your damper is somewhere out there. I'm really surprised that Wayne or Billy couldn't get you one.
Regards,
Al S.

83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

I'll PM the pirate's info to you and you can contact him directly and find out if he still has it.

I had inquired about it in a list of parts, but he did not say whether he has it or not.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

http://car-part.com (database of national junkyards) lists two, one for $40. Use "Harmonic Balancer" for search.
Regards,
Al S.

exmod110

Post by exmod110 »

Thanks,
Had one sent up for a wreckers in the south US a short time ago, cured the vibration prob.... now i feel confident to run the motor with out worries!
drove it to bc and back without any probs and got mid to high twenties for milage!!! not to bad pulling my rover along @ 110 kph all day long! untill the hills that is.