Towing behind an RV

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

mbtech208

Towing behind an RV

Post by mbtech208 »

I'm driving the Maxima to Austin, TX this weekend to pick up an RV my buddy bought on eBay. We're towing my car behind the RV on the way back. Any recommendations other than removing the driveshaft?
-Dave

Owner of Car and Driver's '83 Maxima "Diesel Beater" 247,000 miles

2003 Dodge Intrepid Police Package
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Assuming that the cars getting towed on a car dolly, or some kind of way with at least 2 wheels on the ground

Cant run from it, gotta take off the driveshaft. Unless you live your life on the edge and tow the car with the front wheels on the floor.

Or you can idle the engine the whole way :)
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

On a car dolly: you *can* tow it backward -- I'm not real wild about doing it that way, but I've been told by several people that it's do-able.

If you have manual trans, driveshaft disconnect is not needed.

For the AT, I unbolt the diff's companion flange -- four nuts (12mm head, use a quality wrench or it'll round off!), then bailing wire the rear of the driveshaft off to the exhaust pipe off to the side. It's not necessary to remove it. I've done that twice on Maximas, it's worked out fine. Don't lose the companion flange bolts, they're special. I use a ziplock bag and put the bolts/nuts/lock washers in it, then throw the baggie in the back seat floor.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.