which glow plugs are the right glow plugs for your sd diesel

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

ehtrain

which glow plugs are the right glow plugs for your sd diesel

Post by ehtrain »

someone may want to sticky this if others don't already know. I keep reading about people reffering to fast burn and slow burn glow plugs and the life span in which they live.

well today I purchased another sd 25 truck. a 720 this time which I had fixed for a friend last year who owns it locally. only other sd25 running in a vehicle still that I know of anywhere nearby. So why not right? well last year the truck went through 2 sets of glow plugs before he finally gave up on using it and bought a vw. fair enough

I got it home only to stick a fresh set of glow plugs in. Didn't even get a sputter and I rewired the glow system last year to all manual control. I checked my work again and could not find an issue... puzzled I started swearing at the glow plugs. my ohm meter doesn't lie. 20 meg ohms.... gross....

so I went over to my 4x4 sd25 and looked at the glow plugs which seem to just keep truckin... glow after glow they take torture. hmmm... maybe this picture can explain.

for those who can't see it

the parts people have now sold me 3 sets of glow plugs that burned out way too suddenly
part#s on the plug

NGK
Y-112RS1
10.5v

the oem glow plug box I have and the plugs in my 4x4 both read a common part #

NGK
Y-705RS
11v

so the plugs are not the correct part number. and they look exactly the same.

in my picture I highlighted all the common numbers between the plugs that should be correct. you will notice the 4 digits will change but the part number stays the same until the wrong plugs I just purchased. there is also an oddball lucas plug I found... not sure if its correct.

if anyone wishes to add anymore to this it would be appreciated.
charmalu

Post by charmalu »

I don`t have the SD25 or even seen one, I have the SD-22 in my 82 KC.
For the past 32 years (original owner) I have used the NGK Y-112TS, 11V.
Looking at a new one it also has a number of 8581 on it. don`t know if that means anything or not.

Over all they have worked good, don`t remember the last time I replaced any of them. I live in Calif. south of San Francisco, so don`t see the cold you get.

Charlie
82 Datsun KC 483K lost #2 cyl blowing blue smoke :cry:
83 Nissan LB 134K SD-25 as of 10-21-13
78 240D Mercedes $300 Parts?
80 240D 360K
80 240D Parts? $750
82 240D Parts? $440
84 300SD 270K
85 300D 363K
86 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel 221K
ehtrain

Post by ehtrain »

i have never seen an sd22 but thanks for the post. I thought these engines all used the same glow plug. interesting your is different from all of mine. whats coldest temps you see in california 32f? here it gets to +110F summer and -40-50F in winter. (coldest and hottest days). +40c summer and -40c winter.

block heater is pretty much mandatory around here in everything from october to april

when I purchased my jet tools compression tester and adapter they only list the sd22 for an adapter. but it fit my sd25 no problem. so must be same threads atleast
charmalu

Post by charmalu »

I guess the SD-22 and 25 are similar is some ways, I do know the 22 has 3 Main bearings and the 25 has 5, and they each use a different Injection Pump. When I first heard of the SD-25 back about 1984, I just thought it was the same basic engine with a little more oomph. ;>)). I always wondered why they weren't sold down here. probably the EPA etc....

It is getting harder to find parts for these as time goes on, I was just looking in E-Bay to see what is available, and there are always a few things listed. It`s only money, right???

When mine was new, I picked up a Block heater for it which does help. Here in Calif., the temperature varies depending to where you live. We can get into the low 20`s here in Santa Cruz sometimes, but will warm up during the day maybe in the 50`s or so. then when we get a really abnormal winter when you send us some of your super cold weather it can get into the teens.

I will say, DO NOT use Starting fluid. you can break a piston, or crack it around the wrist pin.

In the area of lake Tahoe, south shore up in the Sierra mt`s. it can get down to zero in some areas but not for a long period. Truckee is a cold hole.

Southern Calif probable dosn`t see much below 40 deg. they are pretty favorable most of the year.

When I was working, I worked for the State Road Dept (Hwy Maint) and the yard I worked in ( up the hill from Saratoga) it could get into the teens at night and warm up into the high 30`s. It was at the 2600ft level. I would keep the Block heater plugged in as soon as I parked it.

This morning it was foggy and overcast all day till after 1pm, and Drizzled so everything was wet. 55deg on the porch at 9am and now & 6:45pm it is 60deg and chilly.

I really believe in an Oil Pan heater of some type, no since of heating the coolant, and the oil is like Molasses. and in your neck of the wood`s, it would be like a solid block. this is where Synthetic oils are really needed.

I bought a Compression tester from Harbor Freight a couple years ago to check the Mercedes I own and some spare engines. I threated the Datsun Iam going to check her too, but talk is cheap. ;>)

I think there is a fitting on E-Bay that comes up from time to time that will screw into the Injector hole. Looks like it is made of Brass.

I just bought a SD-22 with 5-spd box off Craigs List. suppose to have 110K on it. just came back from Portland Oregon in the Datsun, 1800+ mile round
trip. so checking it over to see if I have a boat anchor or what. the trans has a bad main shaft front bearing. HMMM

so need to break out the compression tester for sure.

OK getting a little long winded here.

Charlie
82 Datsun KC 483K lost #2 cyl blowing blue smoke :cry:
83 Nissan LB 134K SD-25 as of 10-21-13
78 240D Mercedes $300 Parts?
80 240D 360K
80 240D Parts? $750
82 240D Parts? $440
84 300SD 270K
85 300D 363K
86 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel 221K
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Glow plugs have had the crap researched out of them on here and I will have to find the pages that refer to them. Using "search" may help. Just cant get to it right now.

The SD 25's in the 720 trucks use the same inline Kiki fuel pump that the 22's used, nearly,,,,,,,, I believe there was a slight difference in the altitude compensator but the same basic inline pump.
In 1984 ( i think) 1985, 1986 and 1987 the SD 25 did make it to the US in the 720's

The SD25's in the 86/87 D21's only came to Canada and have a different glow system and fuel pump. The glow system was pretty much the same as in the Nissan sedans ( maxima etc ) as is the fuel pump which uses the VE style rotary or distributor style pump fitted with a CSD.

The different glow system on the D21 uses a quick glow to start with and then switches to a reduced power slow glow after the engine starts. It remains on in the slow glow cycle depending on intake manifold temperature as well as a coolant sensor and a timer. This was used to help the engine smooth idle after starts in very cold weather.

The marine application SD22 glow plugs are pretty much bullet proof and if you have changed over to a manual glow system then they are your best bet for durability. If I recall correctly the old marine panels said to hold the button for 20 seconds but Tom Young will correct me if I am wrong.

I purchased some Delphi HDS 283's 6+ years ago and they have greatly assisted in the cold start as well as the yanmar intake air heater that I installed.
I however, have the aforementioned D21 with SD 25.

Hope this helps

I will search around a bit later to see if I can find the glow plug topic but as stated, it was covered pretty extensively by Al I think.

I too am in the Great White North and switch to Rotella 5W-50 around the end of October. Just use the block heater and have a secondary heater on a temp activated switch under the hood. If it's below -17 C then both come on. The secondary one is in the lower rad hose and with both of them going it will lift the temp gauge off the pin when I put the key on. It rarely gets that cold in the garage although it has. Garage is unheated and uninsulated.

Paul

Here's a bit of info here: http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... glow+plugs

More here:

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... hi+hds+283
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

charmalu wrote:I bought a Compression tester from Harbor Freight a couple years ago to check the Mercedes I own
Arrgh. I know HF is easy, but the quality, dude! I saw a 10% variation from my Fluke on one of their voltmeters.

I buy their cheap Forstner bits ($10 for a set, on sale) because if I hit a nail installing a deadbolt, I can throw the bit away and not feel bad. I buy their 1000 lb. furniture dollies for $10-15 because they're perfect for a 200 lb. transmission (we put 800 lbs on one once -- it wasn't pretty). But anything that measures dynamically . . . nah, you're better off with used quality at eBay.
. . . I threated the Datsun Iam going to check her too, but talk is cheap. ;>)

I think there is a fitting on E-Bay that comes up from time to time that will screw into the Injector hole. Looks like it is made of Brass.
Given the right tool, it's much easier to perform a compression test via the GP hole. I had a couple of adapters fabricated years ago. You're welcome to borrow one. See this thread for pics, tips etc.
the trans has a bad main shaft front bearing. HMMM
They "all" do.

See this thread for all kinds of info on the various brgs and weak spots in the 5-spd.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

A chart of various SD glow plugs is in the SD Glow Plugs thread. The chart doesn't contain the Y705RS because so few people actually have information on the SD25.

If you put a fast-glow GP (say, 1983-on SD23 or SD25 that uses 1132 (Y112RS-1)) GP in a manual system or an older slow-glow system, they burn up. Fast. Like in ten seconds. They aren't designed to run anything like continuously.

The older 1232 (Y-112TS) can take 25 seconds or more to reach a temp that's enough to light off a cold diesel, and there are reports of people leaving them on (on a manual system) for hours without burning out. I'm sure it doesn't do them any good, but they do handle it.

I burned up several fast-glow GPs on my diesel Sentra, using a manual system. They are easy to ruin.

I'll go add the Y705RS to the chart now.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
ehtrain

Post by ehtrain »

according to my parts person who made extensive calls to ngk regarding my failed plugs came up with some interesting info.

after doing several crossover numbers from europe sites. the sd25 was actually in production until 98. I'm not sure in what.. but it left the year split at 07/86 - 03/98. which the part number cross referenced several times to y705rs glow plug and the oem part number listed on the glow plug box in my picture
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Did it break down the plugs to different applications that the SD25 was fitted into ?

The generic catch all plug for the SD25 in fork lift, marine/industrial may be different than that fitted to a Canadian D21 pick up with the aforementioned glow system or the Ausi D21 or some other model they have there that does not require a lot of assistance in very cold weather starting.
I know that Davehoos has mentioned that the VE style pump used on the SD25's in Oz does not have the CSD.
I have had issues with the NGK plugs as listed by Nissan and crossed over in the NGK book. NGK I think simply inserted the "catch all " plug and for a manual system they will burn out.

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
ehtrain

Post by ehtrain »

unfortunatly i didnt get all the info the parts guy had. but it also listed the td25 and the sd25 as using the same plug. whether they actually do or not i dunno. I also have the feeling in northamerica the forklifts got sd25 while oversees the td27 was also available. avfter extensive searching for oil filter for my td27 locally a forklift place went through every listed nissan machine which only offered up the sd22, sd25, and sd33 and being the "industrial" motor.

so maybe they quit truck production of the sd25 in 1990-91 as I understand from forum searching. and maybe they kept the sd25 in industrial applications?

either way as the glow plug thread lists approx every 3 years up to y705rs glow plug they change up. then from 87-98 so 11 years they list y705rs. so maybe nissan found a best suited plug or i dunno. but the parts guy computer was listing a plug that wasn't in my truck. but after 87 all numbers cross to y705rs and being the plug for sd25. not sure about sd22 tho. and NGK warrantied all my burnt out plugs due to incorrect part listing

and either way still amazes me nissan built an engine from 1961-1998 on the same plateform. and the d21 pickup (hardbody) was made 86.5-2008

so the sd engine was in production for 37 years
and the hardbody pickup was in production for 22 years.
86-98 usa/canada, 86-2008 mexico and others