83 Maxima LD28 STILL Will NOT start

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

Re: 83 maxi runs again

Post by kassim503 »

asavage wrote: It's 80 HP. The gasser version is 120 HP.

Aw man, really? I thought I had 150 hp, Mabye the l24 wants to snap a timing chain and heads get wrecked and the pistons get damaged so I can slap a chevy small block in there.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I've seen several 240 & 740 Volvo Wagons with the SBC conversion, it's a well-trod path. However, you've got to replace the rear axle too, as the stock Volvo unit isn't really up for full-throttle starts with a V8 under the bonnet.

It also is more than a bit front-heavy. I think there are lighter alternatives available.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
TheDieseliminator

Re: TURBO?

Post by TheDieseliminator »

arcatalibra wrote:then for that luxury item- the cd player- I someday- the maxi stereo is not a music lovers dream .
asavage wrote:I'm interested in how people accomplish this. The OEM system integrates with the separate cassette player, and the Voice Warning System also interrupts the LF speaker.
Al, actually I happen to have a Clarion CD player installed in my Maxima and have had it in there for quite some time. Had my dad install it and we did it not too long after I bought the car. Funny you mention the Voice Warning System interrupting the LF speaker, because that is what happens in my car and also the music from the radio or a CD only plays out of that LF speaker. Ever since I have had the CD player installed in the car it has always played out of just that one speaker. Believe me it really sucks as far as volume and I'm obviously not utilizing the + of having an aftermarket CD player installed. What I think the problem is the Maxima's factory audio system is more advanced when it comes to wiring because they had the nice tape player and radio. So, when trying to install a CD player I think you may have to run your own custom wires to the rear speakers and maybe the front speakers to get the desired power from the CD player. And my dad didn't do it that way, so we think the factory system interferes, given it has only played out of one freakin' speaker this whole time! As far as the CD player goes it's a nice unit and I'll have to take a digital photo of it sometime to show everyone. My dad did a nice, clean install into the place where the factory radio sits. The way it's installed almost looks factory and we kept the tape player unit installed below it. The Clarion unit is also a silver color which matches my gray interior pretty well. Not too long ago I removed both rear speakers from the car to see what shape they were in and one look at them pretty much said they were just about ready to be trashed. The paper cones were brittle (easily crumbled if a finger touches them) and I really have to say they were the factory speakers. Reason why is the connector that connects to the terminal on the speakers is a special looking white connector that connected into the speaker perfect. They just had to be the original speakers. Now I'm running no speakers in the rear now until my dad and I get a chance to disassemble the sound system to see if we can get to the goal of having the CD player actually play out of all 4 speakers. Anyone know how to go about wiring it up correctly, neatly, and organized after buying 4 new replacement speakers? That is what I plan to do because it's worth doing it after suffering so long and for the reason I have a nice CD player sitting there. Great to be back here on the forum too as I had our family desktop computer give us trouble and haven't visited the site in 11 days (the longest I've ever been away from internet access in awhile). That is if anyone was wondering where I was all this time. :wink:

Salvy
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The Voice Warning System schematic is on pg EL-77 in the 1982 FSM, and the wiring diagram (showing all connectors involved) is on the page following.

The radio wiring diagram (showing connectors) is on EL-129. It's a bit misleading.

The Voice Warning System apparently is wired to directly interrupt the LF speaker -- see connector 73M on EL-77. However, the radio wiring diagram on EL-129 doesn't reflect that at all.

At any rate, you should be able to use the EL-129 connector diagram to locate the inputs to the four speakers, and connect your CD player's outputs appropriately. Hint: all four speakers' wires are Black and Black/White stripe. Since I doubt that you still have your original wiring connector for the radio unit, you can't use pin position to determine which pin is which speaker. Use a 9v battery across each B and B/W wire pair to re-determine which pair is for which speaker, then label them. This will make connecting to your CD player a snap.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.