LD28 in a Dodge?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

glenlloyd

LD28 in a Dodge?

Post by glenlloyd »

Has anyone ever heard of the LD28 used in a Dodge pickup, maybe around 1981/2? The first owner of my wagon suggested that the LD28 was used in some Dodge pickups of that same vintage, but he didn't have anything more specific than that. If this were true then there might be components available to mount the LD28, oh say, in my B250 van for instance....which wouldn't be a bad idea!

I cannot find any support for the use of this engine in a Dodge truck of the vintage he suggests. Anyone know anything about this?

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

I'm not sure but someone told me the same thing about scouts and I'm pretty sure that its not ture. Mt keyboard is acting wanking I'll have to get back to you.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED
goglio704

Small dodge diesels

Post by goglio704 »

I have seen a small Dodge diesel truck on Ebay or someplace. I don't think it was Nissan powered because I would have remembered that. Dodge put their name on a small Jap truck in those years, but I can't remember which one. The landrover thing is an engine conversion / repower to diesel type deal. If you get on Dogpile search engine and search for ld28 you'll probably see a mention of a "Landy" conversion to an ld28 or rd28. I would love to find another vehicle that uses the ld28. Even a vehicle with the right combination of weight and engine compartment to allow a swap would be interesting.

P.S. Actually, I know of another vehicle that used the LD28 or 3.3 liter (SD33?) from the factory. Jeep CJ10 or CJ10a's had them. I'm not a Jeep guy, but these were some sort of specialty vehicle with a short wheelbase used primarily as airplane tugs! Apparently some pretty steep gearing and low top speed. Much rarer and more valuable than Maximas with the LD28.
Last edited by goglio704 18 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

[edit: found the Dodge diesel info]

In 1978, Dodge offered a Mitsubishi 4.0l Six diesel engine in a fullsize Dodge PU. See http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/history/segment10.html and scroll down to the last paragraph. Rare truck. Found one owner's account of his one-family rig. First year of the D150 designation, and only year with that engine, AFAICT.

The engine used in Scout IIs ('76-80) is the Nissan SD33, a pushrod Six that is a Six version of the SD22. It was offered in a turbo version in the Scout II in 1980 only.

Chrysler used the SD22 & SD33 in marine applications in the 60s and later, lots of them still out there.

The Scout II is definitely the SD33.

The little Dodge D50 diesel is, I think, a Mitsubishi engine.

The LD series didn't exist prior to 1981, AFICT. It is pretty common to repower LandRovers with a Nissan Six, though several variants are used (RD28, LD28, etc.). There's a trans adapter for the LD for certain. I have the place bookmarked. Pretty sure it's in Australia, IIRC.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Thanks for the information everyone. I wasn't confident that what this past owner was telling me was true, then again I thought it was worth asking others.

The Mistu 4.0 would be much more fitting just because of size. The LD28, non-turbo, would be a little thin pushing a van around.

Interesting info at any length!

sa

zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I wonder what the HP rating of the 4.0l Mitsu was. The LD28 is 80 HP, which is pretty good IMO, but for a fullsize truck pushing 5500 or so lbs loaded, might be a bit light. They did have a 120 HP (or thereabouts) Slant Six as an option.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Here's an engine from a '78 Dodge for sale, the Mitsu one, in Louisiana, $50. Scroll to end of page.
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

I haven't found any useful information on the 4.0 Mitsu engine. I have called the owner of the one listed, since it's about 25 miles from where I am in Iowa City. I figure if it's still there I'd at least like to see it.

The one reference I did find about this 4.0 was by the owner of one of these 78 Dodge trucks, who indicated that it's top speed was 60 mph. That doesn't seem right, but who knows. I also am not sure if it was turbocharged or not, some tidbit I found somewhere indicated that it was, but that's the only info that mentions it.

A project I've always wanted to do was take a early 90's Dakota, in fact I would need two of them, one long box, the other ext. cab, and combine them into a usable vehicle for me. I barely fit in the regular cab of these (I've owned two of them), and the ext. cab always comes with the dinky 6' bed, which I don't find worth much for hauling.

Powering this combo truck I'd like to have a diesel with preferably a manual trans but I could live with auto if necessary. Since it wouldn't be a huge vehicle I could actually see the LD28 as working perhaps.

The downside is that these had incredibly soft suspensions and were not heavy duty vehicles, even in 4X4 trim.

I always thought it was too bad that they didn't have the 4 door cab version of these until they went to the bubbly body type, I'm partial to the square shapes myself.

enough rambling

sa

zim - silence!
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

About the 4.0 Mitsubishi diesel engine, talking to a past owner one time I got the information from a brochure that he had about the truck. He had a 1978 I believe and he said the engine produced about 100 HP. And I can tell you that these engines were not turbocharged because I've researched them and have seen more than one of the engines on EbayMotors. Really would have been sweet to have that engine turbocharged, probably would have made about 115-120 HP. Actually I have a two page magazine ad on this Dodge diesel pickup. Totally forgot I had this article until about half way through typing this reply. Haha. The title of the magazine article is "The Dodge 4x4 Diesel." An interesting subtitle says, "A 4x4 that gets better than 19 mpg." Pretty cool. The engine is a 243.3 cubic inch, generates 168 ft. lb of torque @ 2200 RPM, and the maximum net horsepower is 103 @ 3700 RPM. At one point the author says, "The diesel, as we've mentioned in previous stories, has its drawbacks---mainly its high noise level and slow acceleration. But when fuel is running 60 to 70 cents per gallon, a lot of people prefer a vehicle that gets better than 10-12 miles per gallon. And, despite its size, large 10.15 LT tires and 4WD, the Dodge diesel managed 19.1 mpg over highway, city and off-road driving. With a fuel capacity of 18 gallons, it should give close to a 350-mile range per tankful." Gotta love old diesel power! The cool thing is a 4-speed manual transmission and 3-speed automatic transmission was available for the truck. I wouldn't mind buying one of these trucks used because they seem to be a reliable vehicle and most importantly a rare one too.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If you have a scanner, and it does a good job, would you mind scanning that article for me?

The AT was (apparently) an A727 (Chrysler), and as the SD2x and SD33 seemingly share a common trans bolt pattern, that implies that that trans could be used behind an SD2x to make an AT 720 PU.

Of course, that presupposes one could actually lay one's hands on that special, one-year-only AT. I've read that that AT case is unique.
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:If you have a scanner, and it does a good job, would you mind scanning that article for me?

The AT was (apparently) an A727 (Chrysler), and as the SD2x and SD33 seemingly share a common trans bolt pattern, that implies that that trans could be used behind an SD2x to make an AT 720 PU.

Of course, that presupposes one could actually lay one's hands on that special, one-year-only AT. I've read that that AT case is unique.
I'd like to see the article too if you don't mind. I haven't gotten any response from the seller of the 4.0 Mitsu Al mentioned. I emailed and called and no response. It's a short hop down to where it is for me from Iowa City. The next time I'm back there I'll take a little trip down and see if I can't locate the owners house. If it's gone that's fine, I would just like to know one way or the other.

SA

zim - silence!
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Al, I'm sorry I don't have a scanner and cannot scan the article. I think though in the near future I'm going to get a scanner, as it's a nice + to have with a computer. It's an interesting article and I'll get it up on the site as soon as I have scanning access.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

asavage wrote:The AT was (apparently) an A727 (Chrysler), and as the SD2x and SD33 seemingly share a common trans bolt pattern, that implies that that trans could be used behind an SD2x to make an AT 720 PU..
I had a brain fart. I was talking about the Scout II/Traveler there. They came with a special case version of the A727. I don't know what AT might have come with the '78 Dodge w/Mitsu 4.0l . Any info is welcome.
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:
asavage wrote:The AT was (apparently) an A727 (Chrysler), and as the SD2x and SD33 seemingly share a common trans bolt pattern, that implies that that trans could be used behind an SD2x to make an AT 720 PU..
I had a brain fart. I was talking about the Scout II/Traveler there. They came with a special case version of the A727. I don't know what AT might have come with the '78 Dodge w/Mitsu 4.0l . Any info is welcome.
I was wondering about this...but I didn't want to say anything! :roll:

On the other hand, it still is a rare tranny, so in part you are right! :wink:

SA

zim - silence!
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Did anyone ever locate a picture of this motor? I'd like to see what it looks like if possible.

thanks

steve a

zim - silence!