Cylinder Head Gasket & Bolt torque

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

pbknowles

Cylinder Head Gasket & Bolt torque

Post by pbknowles »

Hello again...lacking a FSM I am looking for the sequence and torque vlaue for the head bolts....oh, and the rod bolt torque as well if possible.....
Thanks,
PK
SD22 powered '85 Chevy S-10
philip
Deceased

Re: Head bolt torque

Post by philip »

pbknowles wrote:Hello again...lacking a FSM I am looking for the sequence and torque value for the head bolts....oh, and the rod bolt torque as well if possible.....
Thanks,
PK

Connecting Rod bolt torque is 38-41 ft/lbs (51-56 N-m).

Do NOT reuse bearing shells, particularly on connecting rods once they have been in service. All bearing shells have a "crush factor" which is what locks (crushes) them into their support saddles when you tighten the cap. Reusing old rod bearing shells (even in the rods they were removed from) runs a fair risk of the the shells becoming loose in the rod and then moving ("spun a rod bearing").

Bearing Shells
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

pbknowles wrote:Hello again...lacking a FSM . . .
You've got to have one. They're cheap on eBay . . . OK, my canned search only turned up a lowly 1981 FSM (which year does NOT include the diesel info, that comes in a separate Supplement in 1981). If you can't get one anywhere else, I've got a spare 1982 720 FSM that you can have for $20 (USPS Media shipping included). I buy up FSMs when noone else is bidding on them, and stash them for this kind of circumstance. I have plenty of spare Maxima FSMs, but only this one spare '82 720 FSM.

The SD, as installed in the 720, absolutely requires the FSM, you can't get by without it. The IPC system in particular will be completely unfathomable without the FSM. Or does your conversion retain the IPC motor -- an electric motor bolted to the lower left of the engine, under the IP, with a rod up to the IP's mode lever?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

Thanks for the help on the torque specs...I plan on installing new rod bearings. My IPC and glow plug systems are present and function as designed. Someone did a surprisingly nice job integrating the two harnesses, especially surprising since the rest of the swap is kind of botched up. My plan is to get it back together and running and then work on rebuilding the spare engine properly and completely, and a tranny as well. Then I will either address the poorly designed swap into the S10 or alternatively install into a 240SX my son has lying around.
SD22 powered '85 Chevy S-10