New Kid, old questions

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Dave S

New Kid, old questions

Post by Dave S »

Gentlemen-

I've been lurking in the shadows for awhile now, and thought it was time for a public thank you for all the good info, and other hints/help.

My 82KC has 288k on it, and seems pretty darn happy all things considered.

One question- is there any type of seal on the diaphram on the back of the IP? I opened mine up, and although the leather seems soft and pliable, I'm only getting 31-32 mpg.

Temp never goes above 1/8 inch past the cold zone, so I figure I've either got a leaking diaphram, (=poor mileage, cool running, if I remember correctly) or am loosing fuel elsewhere.

Although a bit of smoke on startup, I don't get any huge clouds whilst going up my test hill. Besides, I run 100% biodiesel, and the smoke it produces is so light anyway...........

Thanks for any hints,
Dave
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

I think what you're getting is good for BD. You will lose some power and mileage, especially with B100. Phil has written quite a bit here on tune ups otherwise.
'82 standard cab 3 axle SD22 turbo
'89 int'l 9700 Cummins 444 (855 ci)
'29 HD FD export model
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Temp gauge should read near vertical -- look for incorrect thermostat installed (see the THERMOSTATS thread).

On B100, I got about 33-35 MPG.
Last edited by asavage 17 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Re: New Kid, old questions

Post by philip »

Dave S wrote:SNIP- One question- is there any type of seal on the diaphram on the back of the IP? I opened mine up, and although the leather seems soft and pliable, I'm only getting 31-32 mpg. SNIP-
Dave
There is no pliable sealing on the diaphragm's metal circumference. While the diaphragm may seem soft and pliable, you really need to compare what you have to a new one. If yours is the original, I guarantee you it has stiffened significantly. This will dampen throttle response though probably not affect MPG.

The quick integrity test is to use a MityVac hand vacuum pump on the diaphragm's "apply" side. It must hold 19" of vacuum for 10-20 seconds with NO loss. Leaks in the diaphragm will lower MPG.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Philip-

Many thanks, that is the "tidbit" of info I was looking for. My FSM, 82/83 model, lists no info on the diaphram assy.

Now that I have some specs to work with.. :D I'm a happy camper!

PS -Thermostat already replaced

Dave
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Dave S wrote:Philip-

Many thanks, that is the "tidbit" of info I was looking for. My FSM, 82/83 model, lists no info on the diaphram assy.

Now that I have some specs to work with.. :D I'm a happy camper!

PS -Thermostat already replaced

Dave
Regarding your temperature gauge readings. I ran into a similar "continual low reading" and fixed it by removing the sensor and lightly wire wheeling all the brown corrosion from the brass body and lock nut. Give that a try.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Philip-

Again, your experience proves invaluable. With the hints and help from both you and Al, I'm sure there are NUMEROUS Sd22 owners not having to deal with "uh, Idunno" mechanics.

And Al, did you mean vertical when refering to the temp gauge needle?

Blessing to you both!

Dave :)
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Dave S wrote:And Al, did you mean vertical when refering to the temp gauge needle?
Yeah, I get the Maxima and 720 gauges confused. Maxima mid-scale = horizontal; 720 mid-scale = vertical.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.