Nissan Patrol SD33

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

You roll your eyes, but I asked a member here three times if he had the correct thermostat, before he confessed he didn't. Sorry if I nagged.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
RMP&O

Post by RMP&O »

asavage wrote:You roll your eyes, but I asked a member here three times if he had the correct thermostat, before he confessed he didn't. Sorry if I nagged.
no probs...

So could anyone maybe help me figure out what these little relay pods things are in my elctrical system. I have an idea but I am still unsure. Do they convert voltage from 24v to 12v?

And if hooking up 12v headlights in a 24v system I should be fine if they are hooked up right? I have read and looked at diagrams on how to do it, I understand how it is done. Although I seemed to have misplaced the info. :roll:

Lastly, is the only way to test compression via the glow plugs? I always thought it should be done through the injectors. I have a nice diesel compression testing kit but don't have all the stuff to test via glow plugs. It has been awhile but IIRC when I tried it via the injectors the last 2-3 were impossible to get on.
83 MQ Patrol - SD33
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

RMP&O wrote:So could anyone maybe help me figure out what these little relay pods things are in my elctrical system. I have an idea but I am still unsure. Do they convert voltage from 24v to 12v?
Having had no experience with this setup, and no schematic or wiring diagram, I can only speculate, which is not a good thing to try long distance.
Lastly, is the only way to test compression via the glow plugs?
No, there's an injector hole adapter too. I just bought one, but it's set up for use with a fitting I don't have (some bastard thing), and I'm having it machined to fit my Snap-On diesel tester -- should be done in about a week.
I always thought it should be done through the injectors.
Sometimes you don't want to disturb the injectors.
I have a nice diesel compression testing kit but don't have all the stuff to test via glow plugs. It has been awhile but IIRC when I tried it via the injectors the last 2-3 were impossible to get on.
Two years ago I had a custom right-angle adapter made to get behind the IP. See the pics in this post. The adapter, indeed the whole setup, is available for rent (with a deposit -- I want it back!).

You could buy the injector adaptor too. See this post, but Phil & I have had to modify this one to work. If you don't plan on testing the compression more than once, rent mine. If you think you'll ever test an SD engine again, buy an adapter.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
RMP&O

Post by RMP&O »

asavage wrote:Having had no experience with this setup, and no schematic or wiring diagram, I can only speculate, which is not a good thing to try long distance.
Ok I will try to get a wiring diagram up from one of my manuals. And some better pictures of this wiring in my truck. I am really bad with wiring in vehicles or otherwise so this is why I am looking for advice.
83 MQ Patrol - SD33
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I'm good with wiring, but in most cases you can't look at a nest of wires and fix it. A diagram of how the system is supposed to be wired is usually necessary for repair. If you're starting off fresh and doing your own harness, that's a different story.
Regards,
Al S.