My first diesel - 1982 Datsun KC

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

scottyk

My first diesel - 1982 Datsun KC

Post by scottyk »

Hey guys,
So I started getting interested in biodiesel just recently, like a couple of weeks ago. I started checking google and watching jettas, mercedes, basically anything with a diesel engine in it. Well, on Saturday I decided to try craigslist. Went to the page for my area (NW Ohio), typed "Diesel" into the search box, for sale, and searched. Immediately found a listing for a "1982 Datsun pick up, diesel, runs good, heater does not work $300." AND get this, it was in the same small town that I live in. The listing was posted on Thursday night and had only been up for a day and a half. So I emailed the seller on Saturday afternoon, asked about mileage (144, 699), any rust (no major rust, frame good, paint bad), etc. Set up a time to go look at it on Sunday at 4pm. Seller said that a guy was coming to look at it Sat. night. Sunday I emailed him again and he said that the guy looked at it but didn't say if he wanted it.
So I went and looked at the truck on Sunday. Turns out that this guy lives about 1 mile away from me, on the same road that I do. I knew that this was an old truck, but it was a diesel and it was only $300. It was cold as an eskimo's freezer this weekend, about -10 with the wind chill. He couldn't get the truck started (it was below zero after all). I looked it all over and couldn't find any rust, at least no holes, no bad rust. Everything looked solid and in place. So I told him I wanted it and would come back on Monday because I had the day off.
Went back Monday, paid, got the title, went and got a new title and got the temporary tags for it. Came back to my house and walked (yes, walked) to the guy's house. He had the truck running and in his garage at this point. I drove it home and he followed in his van. I have to say, it was interesting. Got it home and in my driveway right now. I will have to get new tires, get the brake lights and running lights working (headlights do work, I found out), get the engine to shut down, etc.

I hope to run biodiesel B20 (B100 if I can get it) but the closest stations are about 30 miles away.

Here are some pics: Image

Image[/i]
moose60

Post by moose60 »

Welcome.

Great! It runs. Even when these things are in tip-top shape, they don't seem to start well in the cold.

Your seats look a little beat down. I just installed buckets from an 88-91 Civic, which are an absolute joy to sit in. I fabed simple adapter brackets from steel. Another member here in the PNW put in some Acura seats and seems pleased.

The 5 speed trans on these trucks seems to be a weak point, a gear oil change is probably a good idea.

There is lots of info on this site, particular topics may be helpful: about the pneumatic governor diaphram(for driveability), Glow Plug Controller (for the hard starting), threads on the electronic inj. pump controller (DPC) for engine shut down issue. Many folks bypass the DPC and use a cable for engine shut down, but they loose the nice function where the DPC will kill the engine if it looses oil pressure.

Mine seems to like BD in any concentration. It really quiets down the motor, but I loose a few MPG (still around 35 city).

Is the heater trouble electrical, or heater core related?
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Nice find, wish I could find one as close to me as you did!

You'll find a plethora of information and lots of helpful hints for your new truck!

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
philip
Deceased

Re: My first diesel - 1982 Datsun KC

Post by philip »

scottyk wrote:Hey guys,
Welcome aboard, Scotty! :wink: Let's head for the engine room.

scottyk wrote: -SNIP- It was cold as an eskimo's freezer this weekend, about -10 with the wind chill. He couldn't get the truck started (it was below zero after all). (LATER) He had the truck running and in his garage at this point. -SNIP, ...get the engine to shut down, etc.

Here are some pics:

Ok ... get yourself a genuine factory service book for your very own. Al will clue you where to get it. A MUST for the electrical work ahead of you were the glow plug and injection pump controls are concerned.

I see in the above photo that the DPC Module (black box to the immediate left of the large secondary fuel filter) is unbolted from the body. This controls the little electric mechanism below the injection pump that turns fuel / engine ON/OFF. This tells me the previous owner had/has a clue about the DPC's failing. There is a thread or two here dealing specifically with this matter. Hint: the four wire plug (right next to the glow plug connector) leading to the right side of the transmission will cause engine starting / stopping failure when corroded.

There is plenty of recent discussion here about cold weather starting these little beasties. See too this earlier cold starting thread. :)

Oh ... the smaller primary...fuel filter change it.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
scottyk

Post by scottyk »

Thanks for the encouragment guys. I did a lot of reading of the posts on this site even before I bought the truck.

I plan on getting a good continuity tester today and will start checking out the electricals as soon as I get time. I found a link for the electrical section of the FSM on this site I think.

As far as the heater/blower, I'm not sure what the problem is and neither was the PO. I have the blower out now and will test it ASAP.

Yeah, I plan on getting a couple of fuel filters. Change one right away, change it again after I run Biodiesel for a while, get all the junk out of the system. I also am going to get new oil, new filter, and new trans oil as well. Anyone recommend synthetic oil and trans fluid?
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

scottyk wrote: Anyone recommend synthetic oil and trans fluid?
For the engine, you'll find two oil analysis samples I ran on Shell Rotella and NAPA oils (15w-40). At 3,000 mile service intervals, synthetic engine oil just wastes a lot of money.

Transmission oil is another subject. Al and I are solidly behind a single grade synthetic 90 wt GEAR OIL due to the marginal bearing size on the cluster/counter shaft. And because you see such low ambient temperatures a synthetic won't turn to sludge by morning. While Al and you see the LOW ambients, I see desert extremes (115*) while hauling around motorcycles and freight.

-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Air conditioning!
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
scottyk

Post by scottyk »

Yeah, I sort of thought that it might have A/C after seeing a thread that showed the flatter air intake. Also, the A/C button on the cabin controls was a dead giveaway.
scottyk

Post by scottyk »

Did some cleaning yesterday. Cleaned out all the stuff I want to keep and put in a basket. Vacumed out the floors and under seats. Man, was there a lot of crap under there. Forks, knives, cigarette packs, 3 or 4 matchbooks. Also wiped down the seats, dash, and surfaces. Changed wiper blades. Cleaned a bunch of dirt and mud from under the truck, but it will still need to be pressure washed. Changed some of the bulbs, tail lamp and turn signals. Tail and brake lights work now, but turn signals still don't seem to work. I'm going to change the low beam headlights today, they have some leaks in them. I'm using Sylvania XTravision Halogens. The high beams seem fine. I ordered two primary fuel filters from the Nissan dealer, they are about $8.00 each and will come in Monday.
scottyk

Post by scottyk »

Only did a few things today. (Hey, it's about 20 degrees outside.) Changed the low beams, the old ones had water and ice in them. Cleaned the grill. It had moss on it. Aimed the headlights. Hooked up the blower motor. IT WORKS!!!! The P.O. said that the heater or blower didn't work. I will have to wait until Tuesday until I can drive the truck and see if the heater core is heating or not. WOHHOOOO!!! I will also have to check out the A/C and see if it works. I think that I will wait until the summer to really go through the A/C thoough. When it gets warmer I will worry about cold air.
scottyk

Post by scottyk »

Got a new air filter from Napa, $18. Changed the front side marker lights. Got new belts just in case.
1982 Red Diesel KC w/ A/C