Recommended diesel fuel treatments?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

mbtech208

Recommended diesel fuel treatments?

Post by mbtech208 »

What are some good ones? I've heard that diesel fuel in the US is some of the poorest quality in the world.
-Dave

Owner of Car and Driver's '83 Maxima "Diesel Beater" 247,000 miles

2003 Dodge Intrepid Police Package
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I recommend commercial (ASTM D-6751) biodiesel. As little as 2% mix ratio quadruples the lubricity of the mix. Biodiesel almost always raises the cetane rating of the fuel.

You can find other/further information in Philip's thread.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Carimbo

Re: Recommended diesel fuel treatments?

Post by Carimbo »

mbtech208 wrote:I've heard that diesel fuel in the US is some of the poorest quality in the world.
Diesel fuel is more easily contaminated w/ particulates and water than gasoline is. That is why your car has a largish fuel filter w/ a drain tap at the bottom (to drain any trapped free water).

I think it depends mostly on the filling station. I prefer to fill up at truck stops; many have an easily accessible "automobile" section. At most truck stops you will see large waterblock spin-on filters mounted on the side of the pumps; look for where they appear fairly fresh-- means they pump a lot of fuel and/or change the filters often. Also, many have high output pumps, which means-- if you are careful-- you can fill the tank in mere seconds.

Here in the US we will be switching to ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) in June, more like what has been used in Europe for the last several years. That is when we may want to start using some fuel lubrication additive to help insure the IP's longevity.

I have used a fuel treatment once, Seafoam, locally available. Mainlined it into the IP supply/return lines and revved the engine until it ran dry. This method is supposed to clear out the gunk from the IP innards, and clear out the carbon/coking from the injectors/combustion chambers. I did not notice any appreciable difference after this treatment but maybe the car did not suffer any problems caused by buildups.

These cars are probably more susceptible to the intake manifold runner clogging that is explained in the FAQ. I know my engine inhales a clump or two thru every tankful or so. Sounds momentarily like a Jake's Brake, then a large cloud of heavy brown smoke thru the exhaust.
philip
Deceased

Re: Recommended diesel fuel treatments?

Post by philip »

mbtech208 wrote:What are some good ones? I've heard that diesel fuel in the US is some of the poorest quality in the world.
Stuff to treat your fuel

1) I would NOT make a blanket statement that diesel fuel in the US is the poorest in the world. Ever been into Mexico? They do not have near the anticontamination measures in place at refueling stations. Diesel fuel "quality" does not vary nearly as much as regionalized blending varies. By this I mean kerosene and cetane modifiers are adjusted for local climate conditions.

2) Diesel fuel systems ARE more sensitive to debris than gasoline injection systems ... let alone carburetors which will pass incredible amounts of abrasives without complaint.

3) I recently removed and had rebuilt the injectors in my SD22. After close inspection of the replaced nozzles and considering all the injector/fuel system cleaner I had been using, I find fuel injection cleaners fall WAY SHORT of their claims. Also, fuel injection cleaner does nothing about metal erosion. See:

Fuel Injector Experience
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

This seems like a good place to post this, so here goes:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/me ... 3bosch.pdf

Interesting info, lots of big words.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD