can u use drip method for timing on ve pump

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

steven.0424

can u use drip method for timing on ve pump

Post by steven.0424 »

in my manual says toremove plug bolt from distributor head install dial indicator,turn engine counterclockwise 20 - 25 degrees from tdc no1 piston zero indicator and turn engine clocwise until its at tdc read dial guage if less than spec turn counterclockwise if larger than spec turn clokwise will the drip method work or must i do as above
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

What is the "drip method"???

I suspect you need to follow the manual. To my knowledge nobody here has figured out a better way yet and there has definitely been some interest over time.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Steven, you are describing the method you need to use for a Bosch-VE-style IP ("distributor IP"), with the four injector lines leaving the IP horizontally to the rear.

If this describes your IP, you can only use the dial indicator method, period.

We don't have that IP as an option for SD22s here, and the SD23/25 engines are rare in the States, so I'm not as familiar with the VE-style IP (as installed in the SD) as I am with the very common Inline IP. The Inline IP can (must) be timed using the drip method.

If the SD version of the VE-style IP is anything like other VE-style IP's I've worked with (and I've no reason to suspect it isn't), then the adapter is very cheap (under $50 anywhere, as cheap as $20 online or at auction), and cheap Chinese dial indicators are also inexpensive (though watch out for the shank diameter, as they do vary, and you'll need one to match your adapter; or do the easy thing and buy the indicator and adapter as a set).

I have pics of the correct type of adapter in the top of this post (you may have to reload the page after all the pics have loaded once, for the browser view the correct post). That's a long thread about adapting that adapter for use on the same kind of VE-style IP on the LD28 diesel.

More pics of that type of adapter are in this post on Tom Sigmond's Toyota PU, about eleven PageDowns down. In that pic, I show the adapter and dial indicator actually mounted to the IP.

One problem can be that you may have to remove the oil filter to fit the dial indicator etc.

For completeness, I should mention that there is a third type of IP used on the SDs, the Lucas/CAV IP. I know little about this type, but it also has injector lines that leave the rear of the IP, but out radially then to the rear. A poor pic from a member's SD23:

Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
steven.0424

Post by steven.0424 »

thanks guys very helpfel ive got indicator just need adapter no real indication timing incorrect although does knock when cold blows bit of white smoke on start up blows bit of black smoke when high revs in third gear under load when not at full operating temp starts ok just want to check for peace of mind will do compression test when find cheap guage thanks again guys luv this site heaps of useful info especially from the diesel guru philip
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

DRIP METHOD-spill timing.

VE pump no problem.but to do this you have to remove the non return valve on no1.you have to have power on the fuel cut soliniod.

I have fitted a spare or to be tested injector to the injector line[with glow plugs out] and slowly cranked the engine but im guessing this is not that acurate or safe and most of the time it was to look at the spray pattern to do this it must wind over fast.

I dont have a dial gauge and the dealerships i worked for didnt see the see this as a tool priority.most of the time this was set by ear[not recomended].

recondition pumps i fitted often had setup marks[paint] by the repairer and you dot to dot.they know that most installers dont know what their doing.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

OK, one can use the phase of the moon or the Julian date to time any injection pump, but using a drip method on a VE-style IP is about that accurate as casting bones. You may as well adjust timing "by ear" and hope for the best. The downside is poor economy, excessive smoke, and high EGT.

Buy the correct tool, time it once, don't look back. Anything else you do will have you wondering later if some lingering symptom of some malaise is due to a new problem, or the shade-tree timing of the IP.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.