1983 Maxima Sedan (needs tranny work) - Seattle SOLD

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

vicmason

1983 Maxima Sedan (needs tranny work) - Seattle SOLD

Post by vicmason »

I've had this 1983 diesel Maxima for almost three years. It's been faithful, but the auto transmission is now on its way out. The car barely moves in first gear and reverse; it's still driveable by starting out with gear shifter in 2nd, then shifting to Drive once rpms are high enough. Higher gears are still fine, but transmission needs repair. The car is currently parked and not driven.

260K miles and never any problems with the engine itself. 28 mpg consistent in city, have gotten as much as 38 mpg driving 55 mph on a trip to Eastern Washington (over passes!). Paint original silver, with exception of left front fender and driver's door (due to minor fender bender)--those have been replaced and have new paint. Gray cloth interior, kinda worn and soiled but no rips. Just replaced starter. All electronics work with exception of antenna and voice warning device.

Alternator belt squeals, needs tightening. Fuel pump has had slight leak ever since I've owned it, but leaks less when using biodiesel; and fuel lift pump was installed to assist. Heater fan does not work. I've turned off the ESS (extended storage switch), otherwise dome light comes on unexpectedly and drains battery. Blows dark smoke when under load, I figure the intake manifold needs to be cleaned.

Contact me with questions. $750 OBO.
Last edited by vicmason 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Victoria Mason
Kenmore, WA
1983 Nissan Maxima diesel (SOLD 2/19/10)
1982 Mazda B2200 diesel (for sale)
1986 Ford F250 turbodiesel (for sale)
1971 VW Squareback gasser (for sale)
1996 VW Passat TDI wagon
1952 GMC bookmobile gasser
vicmason

Post by vicmason »

I have posted my car on craigslist, as well, with some pictures: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1573564453.html
Victoria Mason
Kenmore, WA
1996 VW Passat TDI wagon
DMS

Post by DMS »

Yeah Ive had my eye on yours as well, but trying to make a double pickup a reality is hard and my buddy isnt convinced nor is my wife about Al's car. Trying to work some magic.

I still cant believe how nice the exterior and interior of your car is though. Very well kept. Ill ask few other friends of mine. Im not sure any of them that might be interested have any cash to spend on the car and then fix it too.

My buddy that is offering to make the trip is interested in the car, but he is currently trying to fix his Q45 with the SAME problem... dead automatic. He isnt to excited about a car that needs another.

Ray
Ray
vicmason

Post by vicmason »

Truth be told, pictures do sometimes make things look better than they are! Not trying to blow a sale, but I like to be honest. I would be happy to take more pictures in detail and email them to whomever is interested. But yeah, the car is in pretty good cosmetic shape for its age in spite of the fact it could use a good detailing.

I have really enjoyed how comfortable it is to drive. I can see how it was the luxury car of its day.
Victoria Mason
Kenmore, WA
1996 VW Passat TDI wagon
DMS

Post by DMS »

PM sent
Ray
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Vic, I have TWO of the rare one-year-only (for the LD28) L4N71 automatic transmissions.

(I also have ONE L4N71 from a 1983 gasser, which will probably bolt-up to an LD28, though the torque converter has diff characteristics, the trans' internals ARE different, and the shift points would be wrong.)

I have not driven either of them.

One of the diesel trans was represented to me as being a good one. I paid $250 for it. I've cleaned the exteriour of it and sucked out the old oil, which looked used-but-OK.

(more info & pics of this trans are here.)

The other is actually a L3N71BOD, but it came from an '83 diesel Wagon.
Image.
I think I cleaned it up some from this pic. More info on this trans is here.

Both are for sale. The first one (that I paid $250 for) is . . . $250. The other, $75. Both are "AS-IS", because I have not personally driven them.

I'm also interested in selling the gasser one. It came from a local gasser '83 Sedan, and I know the owner and the car was scrapped due to having been hit hard. The trans is known-good and I haven't cleaned it up. I have $100 into it from the JY that pulled it for me, because I didn't get to it myself before it got hauled to the JY :( Again, this is a known-good gasser L4N71b.

Email only, please.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
vicmason

Post by vicmason »

Thanks, Al, for the offer! As coincidence would have it, I just sold the sedan yesterday afternoon! I'm very happy that it's going to a good home. The gentleman drove two hours from Montesano to Kenmore to come trailer it home. He has another car with a good tranny in it that he'll probably swap out. Believe me, I told him about this site and encouraged him to join in! Thanks to everyone on this forum for the help I've received in keeping this one going the last few years. :)
Victoria Mason
Kenmore, WA
1996 VW Passat TDI wagon
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Hey Al, I'd be interested in buying the L4N71 trans from you as I think I could use it in a diesel Zcar swap to have an extra gear. If I didn't go the 5-speed manual route with an LD28 in a 280Z then the 4-speed auto would be the answer. Do you also have the torque converter for that trans? Thanks.

Sal
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I have the TCs for both trans, but you will want to think hard about this.

The trans tunnel molded into the floor pan of the 1982 Maximas will not accommodate the 1983 transmission, because when the trans got OD it got fatter in back. Reference: this post.

I suspect you'll run into a similar problem with the early 280Zs. If you are dealing with a 1983 or later 280Z, this won't be a problem, but for the early ones, you'll likely have to modify (cut) the trans tunnel, or use a 5-spd.

That said: the three trans above are for sale. What you do with them is up to you :)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.