Upgrade Alternator?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Dairy

Upgrade Alternator?

Post by Dairy »

I was thinking about putting a bigger alt on my car. Problem is finding one with a vac on it. Since I couldnt find one I was also thinking of removing the ac pump and just modifing the brackets to put one there and leave the old one just to operate the vac. any thoughts?
82 maxima ld28 200K
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I've seen the dual-alternator thing done on an SD22 in the junkyard. I thought it was kooky, myself.

The stock alternator, when it's fresh, is a very good alternator. The problem is that after a number of years the diodes crack.

The thread on rebuilding the LR160 (Maxima 60a) alternator is here.

This is a cracked OEM diode:
(click on picture for larger)
Image Image

The diode assy is replaceable, but you've got to be comfortable with soldering, and I won't say that it's a piece of cake. I've done about eight of them, maybe ten.

The rebuilt alternators that I've seen, even the rebuilts from Nissan, have not had the diode assy replaced in all cases. That's the problem with buying an over-the-counter rebuilt unit.

I have a guy who will rebuild them the right way, with a new VR and new diode assy, new bearings & seal, but you are looking at around US$200 for that job. I have been rebuilding them myself, but after I lost my ass on the last one I did for someone else (it had a bad stator), I have stopped rebuilding them for other people. But any auto electric shop that services Hitachi units can do it for you; just make certain to ask for a new diode assy.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Just a thought but you could use a electric vacuum pump. Thinking about that myself but my engine is in a old truck so I only use the vacuum for the brakes.