turning over, but not running??

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Benny

turning over, but not running??

Post by Benny »

Now heres a puzzler

I bought an 87 maxima diesel wagon, and it ran fine.

I drove it home on the freeway, no problems. Parked it for a week, and then went to start it with a new battery, and it just turns over but wont start.

Im sure that theres diesel, and even pumped the fuel filter according to the owners manual, but nada.

Has anyone got any ideas???

Thanks

Ben
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

did they have diesels for the 87 maxis?
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

They didn't make a Maxima diesel in 87. 83 was the last year. Whatever year it is, if its diesel it could be the glow plugs or their controls, or it could be the timing belt that drives the injection pump. Does the glow plug light come on when the key is turned to the on position? Are there any aftermarket pushbuttons or toggles switches? It is possible the glow plugs have been converted to manual control. If that is the case you will need to power them for a few seconds prior to cranking. You're in the right place to find help, but we'll need more info from you, Ben.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Hello, Ben, and welcome to our Sandbox!

If you're inclined, please edit your Profile (button on the top of every page here) to include at lease your geographic location. It's of tremendous help. You can edit your Signature to show us what rig you're driving, that way you don't have to type it when you ask a Q.

On your starting problem: what Matt said:
  • Glow Plug system not working (easy to check with a 12v test lamp on any glow plug's terminal, turn key ON, watch for light ON solid, then goes dim or off when the big relay clicks).
  • IP Belt stripped or broken. I had mine (on the '82) do this in my driveway a week after I bought it, and the day after a 500 mile trip. Talk about lucky! If it's stripped, you won't get pulses of fuel to any injector. I don't know a good way to check this other than loosening one of the injector line nuts at one of the injectors and watching for fuel while cranking with key ON.
  • No power to the IP solenoid. Check for 12v at the B/w (Black w/White stripe) wire connector, where that wire runs approx. from under the windscreen reservior to the back of the IP. If the dash lights come on with the key, there should be 12v at that connector. It's a single wire and a single connector (running parallel with a Red wire that's the EGR system's part load advancer). Here's a handy pic I just happened to have laying around:
Other than being out of fuel in the tank, those are your most likely suspects. GP system first, IP belt second. A lot of GP system modifications have been done by owners and shops over the years, but the OEM system tends to work pretty well on the Maxima.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Midnightz

Post by Midnightz »

My 83 wagon won't start, but cranks, this afternoon when I tried to leave work... Started, drive 30 miles and got me to work this morning. The second click is getting un-consistent lately...

GP: Don't have voltmeter but I touched the GP after cranking for 5 seconds and each felt warm... should they be really hot?

IP Belt: I think there's fuel, because I can see blue smoke out of tail pipe as I am cranking (excess unburn fuel?).

IP solenoid: When I bring voltmeter tomorrow to check, what happens when there's no 12v when the key is ON? Should I "hot-wire" it to battery?

Any other thoughts?

:(
90 Midnight Blue 300ZX NA 2+2 (DD)
83 Maxima Wagon Diesel (parted out-going into 240Z)
73 240Z (LD28 swap project)
08 Mercedes Benz GL320CDI
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Paul, if you are getting ANY smoke out the tailpipe while cranking, then fuel is being injected, which rules out the IP solenoid (and power to it) being a problem.

That leaves the GP system (bad connection usually) or injection timing (lost a tooth on the IP belt). Both are common problems, but checking for >10.5v at No. 1 or No. 2 GP (or thereabouts) is the easier of the two to check.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.