Lynnwood Pull-A-Part JY find

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

asavage
Site Admin

Lynnwood Pull-A-Part JY find

Post by asavage »

On a tip from Carimbo, we met and disgorged an '81 wagon (w/L3N71B) (230k miles) in a JY today. Unfortunately, we only had three hours until closing, and we used them all! We were literally the last ones in the parking lot to leave.

Got a spare starter, he got an alternator, I got the window glass I needed for my '83 (had to hacksaw the rearmost bolts, it was nerve-wracking, and I broke a $16 Matco screwdriver, thank God that Carimbo had a $10 one I could use!). I pulled the intake manifold for the fellow who wants one, and ended up forgetting to load it in the wheelbarrow! [head banging on desk]

Carimbo was working on pullling the IP but it takes a good deal of time and he wasn't able to get very far. Radiator looks great on outside, kind of mineraled-up on the inside, but I'd buy it anyway. Relay panel was gone. Got the WW reservoir (different on Wagons, thanks Steve!). Mistakenly got the EGR control module (for 1981 only, where will I ever use that??), PW console switch assy, shifter boot, entire instrument cluster (w/clock, so now I can open one up), cluster surround (to replace my '82's that has melted gum on it), PM switch. Carimbo got the driver's door switch, the one that opens the rest of the doors when you unlock the drivers door. Yes, the door was cracked and yes, it had been repaired -- by three short riveted straps. I tell you, if you own one of these old Gen1 Maximas, you've got to fix the door cracks at least on the driver's door (see this post for pics).

Got my air intake setup complete, though the very front of the snorkel at the battery is slightly mangled, it's OK to use. Carimbo got an LD28 fan clutch and the set of what look like rebuilt injectors! I picked up the radio, minus two knobs. The cassette player was there. Grey interiour, I got the plastic around the column.

Picked up two alloy rims, not the Maxi ones but close (hey, $15 each, I had to; decent rubber).

Seats were all dirty/greasy, but could be cleaned up, no rips, a little light wear. Wagon taillights OK, bumpers beat.

Silver exteriour: yes, the doors are all good, at least no dents. I didn't check for rust, but they looked solid all around.

If I can, I'm going back Saturday (soonest I can get there again) and get:

* Intake. Yeah, I know, it'll be gone.

* IP

* Wagon driveshaft. Not the same as Sedans

* Radiator

* GP controller

Steve, since I now have a spare starter, it would complete the LD28 in Maple Valley -- sure you don't want to buy that one?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Re: Lynnwood Pull-A-Part JY find

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:Steve, since I now have a spare starter, it would complete the LD28 in Maple Valley -- sure you don't want to buy that one?
I don't know, that's a long haul and I would have to bring the van to bring back an engine, or get a utility trailer that could be pulled with the Golf that could handle the 500lb. I can't imagine a 500lb engine on a trailer behind the Golf D...that would actually be pretty funny, and probably about all it could handle!

I'm not ruling it out however!

sa
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Whew, I just have to crow a bit . . .

Spent the entire day at the JY in Lynnwood where Carimbo found an '82 dsl Wagon. Yeah, the intake manifold was gone :( I kick myself.

Got the driveshaft assy. ($15), the front u-joint is bad.

Got the GPC ($9) from under the pass. seat.

Got both seat track assys. from the driver's seat for Ron. Doing a Good Deed was Good Karma, because under the front seat was a set of keys, one of which fit the Ign., and the set of keys has a keycode on it (so I can originate a key for the Ign. assy.), so I got the Ign. switch assy too. And can you believe it, the breakaway-head bolts came right out with very little punch/chisel work. Amazing!

Got the MF switch (MultiFunction switch, get your head out of the gutter), that's the headlight/turnsig/etc. switch).

Both grey headrests ($7/pr). One of mine is broken on my '82 Wagon.

Got the block heater and cord for Carimbo, as well as the pass. side armrest in grey. BTW, it measures about 1.37" which is about 35mm.

Got '82 hood ornament for Carimbo. Strangely, his '82 Sedan has the '83 (more or less square) ornament.

Got the wiper motor. It's the little plastic linkage balljoints that squeak and clunk on these things (still available from Nissan as of last year), but $7 for a spare motor is a pretty good deal.

And, after a lot of hoses, belts, bolts and help via the cell phone to Caxambu who has the FSM handy, and about two hours, I got the IP. If you look at your IP, you can see that there's a lot of stuff in that area. The PS pump has to move, the PS mounting bracket has to come off, and it is very much easier if you remove the rad. hose inlet adapter, that allows you to get at the upper/inner IP mounting 12mm nut without having to snake about 18" of 1/4" ratchet extensions from back at the oil filter area.

I was skeptical, but the FSM says you can take the IP off without removing the motor mount and with leaving the IP lines all connected to the IP, and Lo! It's true. Barely.

BTW, the IP belt was in decent shape. We still don't know why that wagon is in the JY. Trans oil is clean and trans exteriour is clean too, like it had been out. Coolant looked new. Some puddling of oil in the air filter box though. Intake ports were not as clogged as mine were. 230k miles.

What's left?

It's too bad I don't have use for another set of grey seats, because other than some shithead getting grease on them, they're in pretty decent shape. They could be cleaned, and this JY sells seats for cheap.

I might go back and get the door panels. They're pulled and in the back, but I ran out of money. I don't really need them though. Grey interiour.

Still has the factory cassette player, though Carimbo said something was broken on it.

Driver's side headlight surround is pretty good, though there is a 1/4" x 1" chip out of the orange side marker, still it's good enough that I'd use it. Front sig. lenses are bad. Taillights are OK. ASCD servo, throttle cable. ASCD vent solenoids. PS Pump looks decent, and is already unbolted, just unscrew one hose.

============================

The '83 gasser Sedan is a couple rows south, brown/brown with some black vinyl dye applied to the glovebox and armrests. No column housing pieces (darn!) and the MF switch gone already. Good taillights, fair rear bumper, sub-fair front bumper but intact -- not good enough probably unless you don't have a front bumper at all. Worn & dirty front seats. Sunroof, but the switch feels poor so I didn't get it. Fairly big rock ding in windscreen. No front marker lights. Good doors, though the driver's inside panel is dirty. Looks like new or rebuilt alternator on this one.

=============================

They had an Aerostar the same year as mine with the upscale options pkg like mine, so I bought the PM switch (last one I bought from the dealer in 2000 was $41) -- wish I could have afforded the mirrors themselves as mine sound like the Maxima's: like gravel in them; the instrument cluster (digital dash is still fairly rare, and if it goes, they are NLA, so a spare on the shelf -- even with incorrect electronic ODO -- is a good idea, $17) and trip compupter (just because).

I like junkyards. This one is not as fun as most, but still a day at a junkyard is fun.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Speaking of headrests, were the headrests gone from the gasser sedan? It looks like the wagon might be able to use headrests in the rear seats, although I haven't verified this for sure, it's just that the holes are there. I should check to see if that's the case. If it is I might have you get me the pair of goldish colored ones from the gasser sedan. At any length I need a hole plug for one of those too.

Also...I'm sure it's shot but I'm curious if you took a look at the shock damper?

Steve A

zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I don't recall if the brown '83 gasser had the front headrests, but it probably did.

The torque damper is shot. I unbolted the top nut and grabbed the body and it's floppy.
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:I don't recall if the brown '83 gasser had the front headrests, but it probably did.
If you happen back there check them out, otherwise it's not a big deal. I'll have a look at the holes to see if the spacing is the same. If it is I'll try one of the forward headrests and see if it goes in properly and has any support from the frame. Did the sedan cars have rear headrests installed here?
asavage wrote:The torque damper is shot. I unbolted the top nut and grabbed the body and it's floppy.
I figured, wish we could find a replacement for this, but I'm not familiar with other makers who use this item. VW doesn't, Peugeot doesn't, and my last Benz I never really noticed whether or not it did.

steve a

zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

MB diesel does, BMW does (735 does, anyway).
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Al
Am I imagining things or did you mention in here at some point that you'd pulled a couple wheel opening trims for me? I could have imagined it..

thanks
steve a

zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

glenlloyd wrote:Am I imagining things or did you mention in here at some point that you'd pulled a couple wheel opening trims for me?
Yup, I did. But you said to wait. Whaddayawant? I can make a box for them and ship them any time. I got all the attaching screws too. You want, I'll get them out this week. I don't see another '83 parts car on the horizon up here right now, except this one for $100, but I don't really have room for another car here that's not a diesel, and Federal Way is a five-hour round-trip so unless you *really* want the other two wheel trim pieces and are willing to pay dearly for them, I only have the two driver's side ones.
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:Yup, I did. But you said to wait. Whaddayawant? I can make a box for them and ship them any time. I got all the attaching screws too. You want, I'll get them out this week. I don't see another '83 parts car on the horizon up here right now, except this one for $100, but I don't really have room for another car here that's not a diesel, and Federal Way is a five-hour round-trip so unless you *really* want the other two wheel trim pieces and are willing to pay dearly for them, I only have the two driver's side ones.
The issue wasn't whether I wanted them or not, but I thought somewhere in this post you mentioned them, and I couldn't find it. I was trying to determine which side they were for so I could try and come up with the others. No big deal, and no hurry either, installing them means I have to remove the old ones and the associated black goo, and that's probably not going to happen soon. From what I have heard we could be getting a mountain of snow here mid-week.

Also, not interested in a sedan unless it's diesel, and then preferably with manual tranny or auto from 1983.

steve

zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

In the "local" Datsun site, someone want's a gasser L4N71B, and I pointed him to that $100 one in Federal Way, also mentioned that if it has good wheel trim that I know someone who may be interested in it ;) And if it has factory alloy wheels, I'd buy them from him. We shall see if he bites.
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Yesterday, on a tip from Doug/datsunaholic, I found that there is an SD in the Lakewood JY, so today I went there and stripped it. 1981 KC, 207k miles, quite rusty, bashed a bit around the front, trashed bucket seats.

What was already missing: alternator (and they cut the hoses and wires!), DPC controller, one GP, radiator, water pump etc. GP bus harness cut in several places (so I took a chunk, to measure the wire gauge).

What I got for my $110 + $40 fuel:
  • From that SD truck:
  • DPC motor
  • IP and all the lines (including the return line assy.), but with the primper pump missing from the lift pump. Includes the timer assy.
  • Starter (and it's the first direct drive SD starter I've seen, and it's got a Hitachi tag on it. More info later.
  • GP relay and mini-harness
  • GP controller
  • GPs (three)
  • Injectors (three: the one from cyl. No. 4 had a severely rusted seat area. The other three merely were full of oil. The whole system was full of red fuel)
  • Thermostat lower housing (the one that everyone breaks off bolts in)
  • MF Switch
  • Fast idle cable assy, w/knob and bracket
  • Throttle dashpot
  • Vacuum pump oil line adapter fitting in the block -- so I can measure the threads at my leisure
  • From the five other 720s (all gassers):
  • Two more MF switches (one the later style ('85) w/pigtail)
  • Late driver's door panel (blue) for the "Arlington Truck" that is missing it
  • Two late-style inside plastic door handles (different from early ones)
  • pair of door locks + matching ign switch: no key, no keycode, but I can make one
  • Jump seat seat belts (two sets) in perfect condition, color: black. I can't use them, but they're never there, so I had to get them. No jump seat bottoms anywhere, but there were two jump seat "backs": didn't get them
I did real good :)

Unfortunately, the trans died on the Aero about halfway back, so I had to call AAA and get a $370 tow up to work. Fortunately, no out-of-pocket, with AAA RV Plus coverage :) But I have to drive the '82 Maxima Wagon now, mouse urine and dead radio and all. I am now actively looking at a replacement for the Aero. It has either 232k or 332k miles on it (digital dash can only show "1" for hundred-thousand digit, by design), I got 85k out of the "heavy-duty" rebuild I paid $1650 for (carry-out price: I installed it) in 1999, the TC clutch grenaded the first week of last Dec and I replaced the TC and flushed the coolers etc, put another $80 of synth ATF in and ran it to LA and back, but this time I think the problem is worse, and I just don't feel like fixing it anymore -- it has too many expensive problems coming up. In particular, the engine is very worn and tired and clanks bad when cold (been getting worse for years and is not a brg). I found an identical twin to it on CL, same year, same options, 170k miles and clean CarFax, for $2200 and I am going to talk to the bank tomorrow.
Regards,
Al S.

moose60

Post by moose60 »

Yes, you did real good.

Glad to see the parts get used again, instead of going to the crusher.
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I have some wheel trims laying in my attic from my car...

Im probably never gonna put them back on, the car looks good enough with almost no trim- im going for that "sleek" look ahahahaha :lol:

But really, if you are missing 2 pieces i think i have 3 out of the 4 wheel wells so i can just mount em up and figure out whats what and whos who. and im willing to give them away too!
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I think that everybody who needed wheel arch trim got them. Unless Steve weighs in differently.

Byron, I am not using the parts, but I figure I have a better chance (here) of finding someone who can, than they do after being crushed. I do resell these parts at a markup, but when you figure in $40 of fuel and pretty much a whole day of time, it's not like parts sales is a profit center for me. Mainly, I want to keep more vehicles in service and fewer rotting away as "projects", eventually to be scrapped when someone has to move.

JYs are so much fun for me . . . and so sad, a graveyard of lost potential. I get that way at cemetaries sometimes too.

JYs around here (I mean, in Seattle/Tacoma/etc., not here, where I am) crush everything after so many days. In the old days, a car might sit in a yard for months or years -- I used to pull parts off of 50s Cadillacs in Arlington in 1980! But no more: nothing is "saved" for any length of time now.
Regards,
Al S.