Engine Vibration ... mounts sacked?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

philip
Deceased

Engine Vibration ... mounts sacked?

Post by philip »

Al. I'm considering 'changing' the engine mounts. Seems like the engine vibration has gotten a little too much.

I find several variations on SD22 replaced mounts (aftermark). The type on my truck seem to have compressed (sacked) to the point the surround C bracket's could be the reason for vibration. (very similar to #WSEM-8144). I have checked for separate of the rubber blocks by lifting the engine ... mount is still good. I should add that the drag link passes the engine pan REAL close.

Different aftermarket engine mounts

Compare the cushion thickness mount. (WSEM-8145 left & WSEM-8146 right). NAPA shows this model too.

WaddaYaThink?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Wow, that's a whole lot of choices.

Looking them all over, I guess I have to say: I have no opinion.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Oh great ... :roll:

Well at least I discovered a low cost source. :)
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Be careful, I can't remember which one, but one of the two that I got that was listed didn't fit, and the next one had the locator pin slightly off. I filed it down a little and it works. Don't trust parts books! :? Don't know how you can be sure to get the right one, other than trial and error, but be prepared. You might not want to do the mail order thing.
'82 standard cab 3 axle SD22 turbo
'89 int'l 9700 Cummins 444 (855 ci)
'29 HD FD export model
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Knucklehead wrote:Be careful, I can't remember which one, but one of the two that I got that was listed didn't fit, and the next one had the locator pin slightly off. I filed it down a little and it works. Don't trust parts books! :? Don't know how you can be sure to get the right one, other than trial and error, but be prepared. You might not want to do the mail order thing.
I had a funny feeling about that ... after finding several sources. And lucky for me .... I found YOUR two replacement mounts. :twisted: :D

Your mounts are the same as NAPA sells. But the mounts in my truck is this: (.... with the shield curved away from the mount.

Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Well, I may not have had those mounts in the correct layout when I took the picture. I was mostly trying to account for all the nuts and bolts. Mine used to look just like yours, but the ones I got from Autozone had those little thingies sticking up. My shield (which I believe is to keep spilled fuel off the rubber) goes the same way yours does. Still, the point is it might be best for you to have them in hand at a parts counter for a satisfactory if not exact match.

Would you like a measurement before you take yours out?
'29 HD FD export model
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Knucklehead wrote:SNIP- Mine used to look just like yours, but the ones I got from Autozone had those little thingies sticking up. -SNIP-
Would you like a measurement before you take yours out?
Sure

One other question. Now that you have the "new" mounts, how close does the engine oil pan come to the steering drag link?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

olpeppy

Post by olpeppy »

i've looked online at several places for my 84 sd25, but all i can locate is the left hand side only. Are they different than the 82 sd22? just wondering for future replacement. thanks
84 sd25 non egr K/C (275k and still kickin)
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

olpeppy wrote:i've looked online at several places for my 84 sd25, but all i can locate is the left hand side only. Are they different than the 82 sd22? just wondering for future replacement. thanks
Both mounts replaced for the SD22 seems to have been updated to the SD25 right mount. (but with some variations).

But as you see in the schematic, the LEFT mount on the SD25 is unique.

Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

The mount thickness incl. metal is about 2.125". The pan is about .75" above the link. I can just barely hook my middle finger around it and slide it past the pan, which says as much about the thickness of my fingers as anything else. Can't give you any measurements on the locator pins if that's why the orange arrows are there. By little thingies I meant the upward extensions of rubber and metal on the mount, which I can only guess is to keep the motor from falling out should the rubber fail.
'29 HD FD export model
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Knucklehead wrote:The mount thickness incl. metal is about 2.125".
I've got too much time to do this. :wink:

These have 2-1/8" height too. What I see is the effect of heavy weight getting pass to the frame.

Left side
See replacement mounts installed

Right side
Knucklehead wrote:The pan is about .75" above the link. I can just barely hook my middle finger around it and slide it past the pan, -SNIP-.
HAH! That paper post-it pad is 1/4" thick.

Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

That oil pan looks like it needs a good flossing.
'29 HD FD export model
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Knucklehead wrote:That oil pan looks like it needs a good flossing.
Everyone around here ... wants $57-65 each. From "carjunky"
mail, I can get BOTH parts for ... (includes FedEx for free when item is over $50)

Core Charge: 0.00
Sub Total: 59.46
Shipping: 0.00
Handling: $0.00
Tax Total: 4.31
Order Total: 63.77

I ordered ... let's see what happens.

Followup: Both engine mounts arrived this morning (Aug 22). The parts are as requested. They are different from the OEM which I expected. From Thailand. Now ... some time.

http://www.carjunky.com/
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

TruckA

Post by TruckA »

I don't know if it matter much for what you're doing since you already received the replacements. But, for the SD22 swap I'm in the middle of, the stock mounts were in sub-par shape so I taped off the bottom and one of the sides of the mount and squirted urethane into the voids. This should firm things up a little more and hopefully save me some coin, I got the tip from some DSM guys that use this stuff to firm up their mounts when they start to build big turbo power. It is called Windo-Weld and is used to adhere windshields, it was $15 for the tube.

David
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

COOL! :D
'29 HD FD export model